Another quick question, Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the fundamental theorem of calculus is valid only if the integrand f does not depend on x.
c.teixeira
I am guessing the fundamental theorem of calculus, isn't not valid, if the integrand f depends on x. Right?

For example if he had:

[itex]\int^{x}_{0} f(u) ( x-u) du[/itex]. If one would make F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0} g(u) du[/itex], with g(u) = f(u) ( x-u). Then F`(x) = g(x) = f(x) (x-x) = 0. But this is not correct as you know. He have to get the x out of the integral.

So, concluding, The First Fudamental Theorem of Calculus, is valid only if the integrand f , doens't not depend on x. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. If x is a constant, it is treated as one in the integral. There is nothing special about x, it's just that it is the upper limit of integration. That does not change how the integration is carried out. Namely, your integral converts to
[tex]\int_{0}^{x}xf(u)-uf(u)\,du=x\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du-\int_{0}^{x}uf(u)du[/tex]
to which the FFTC is applicable.

Millennial said:
No. If x is a constant, it is treated as one in the integral. There is nothing special about x, it's just that it is the upper limit of integration. That does not change how the integration is carried out. Namely, your integral converts to
[tex]\int_{0}^{x}xf(u)-uf(u)\,du=x\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du-\int_{0}^{x}uf(u)du[/tex]
to which the FFTC is applicable.

First of all thank you! But I didn't quite understood your explanation.

Yes, I understand that that is the correct way to differentiate the expression. In fact that was exactly why I got this doubt to begin with.

When I saw:
[itex]\int^{x}_{0}f(u)(x-u)[/itex] = [tex]\int_{0}^{x}xf(u)-uf(u)\,du=x\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du-\int_{0}^{x}uf(u)du[/tex]

I tought:

They "expanded" f(u) (x-u) to f(u)x - f(u)u, so that they could differentiate using the FFTC and the rules for the differentiation of the product of two fuctions namely l(x)=x and F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}f(u)du[/itex].

That is why, I got the idea that one couln't use the FFTC to differentiate direcltly a function F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}g(u)du[/itex]., with in which g(u) depends on x, altought it is perceived as a constant during integration.

To summarize my idea, I guess the following is the best way:

Let g(u) = f(u)(x-u).

and F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}g(u)du[/itex].

Then throught direct apllication of the FFTC we would get F`(x) = g(x)=f(x)(x-x) = 0.,

Which is obvsiouly different from [tex]\int_{0}^{x}xf(u)-uf(u)\,du=x\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du-\int_{0}^{x}uf(u)du[/tex]= [itex]\int^{x}_{0}f(u) du[/itex] + xf(x) - xf(x).

What brings me to the same question:

Is or isn't the FFTC applicable when the integrand f in F(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{0}f(u)du[/itex], depends on the constant x.

If is applicable to such case, why is it wrong in my example to assume F`(x) = g(x) = f(x) (x-x) = 0.

Regards,

c.teixeira

"Then throught direct apllication of the FFTC we would get F`(x) = g(x)=f(x)(x-x) = 0.,"

This is false. How do you know g(0)=0?

Millennial said:
"Then throught direct apllication of the FFTC we would get F`(x) = g(x)=f(x)(x-x) = 0.,"

This is false. How do you know g(0)=0?

I don't know that, but (x-x) would be zero, making g(0) = 0. right?

you can't *directly* use the FTC in the case you mention.

the idea your skirting is called leibniz rule
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule

it is just an application of the FTC and the chain rule.
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x f(u,x) du = f(x,x) + \int_0^x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x) du [/tex]

qbert said:
you can't *directly* use the FTC in the case you mention.

the idea your skirting is called leibniz rule
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule

it is just an application of the FTC and the chain rule.
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x f(u,x) du = f(x,x) + \int_0^x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(u,x) du [/tex]

Thanks!

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the two branches of calculus - differential calculus and integral calculus. It states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the limits of integration.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, finding the average value of a function, and solving differential equations. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to motion, force, and energy.

3. Is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus difficult to understand?

The concept of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus may be challenging to grasp at first, but with proper explanation and practice, it can be understood by most students. It is essential to have a strong foundation in basic calculus concepts before attempting to understand the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

One common misconception about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is that it only applies to continuous functions. However, it can be extended to piecewise continuous functions as well. Another misconception is that the antiderivative of a function is unique, but in reality, there can be multiple antiderivatives of a given function.

5. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be proved?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus has a rigorous mathematical proof that involves the definition of the Riemann integral and the properties of continuous functions. It is often taught in advanced calculus courses, but the basic idea can also be understood by students in introductory calculus classes.