Ansoft Maxwell guidelines -- Simulate E(r) for charged sphere

In summary, the speaker is looking for assistance in comparing the real solution of the electric field radiated by a sphere with a numerical solution. They have tried using Ansoft Maxwell software but have had difficulty setting up the problem. They are looking for suggestions and have also attempted a 3D model but have not found a good solution. The speaker has limited experience with simulation software and is looking for examples that are similar to their desired geometry.
Costin Beiu
Hello,

I have to compare the real solution of the electric field radiated by a sphere, having 10 cm radius, charged with 1e-012 C (perfect conductor), something like E=f(x) where x is distance from the sphere, from 0m (surface of the sphere) to 1m, with numerical solution. I tried Ansoft Maxwell software, but I can't figure it out how to set the problem. Any suggestions will be more than welcome. I tried a 3D model but no good solution.

Thnak you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Costin Beiu said:
Hello,

I have to compare the real solution of the electric field radiated by a sphere, having 10 cm radius, charged with 1e-012 C (perfect conductor), something like E=f(x) where x is distance from the sphere, from 0m (surface of the sphere) to 1m, with numerical solution. I tried Ansoft Maxwell software, but I can't figure it out how to set the problem. Any suggestions will be more than welcome. I tried a 3D model but no good solution.

Thank you.
Welcome to the PF.

What do you have for the analytical solution?

What experience do you have with simulation software like Ansoft Maxwell? What example simulations can you find with that tool for similar geometries?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What do you have for the analytical solution?

What experience do you have with simulation software like Ansoft Maxwell? What example simulations can you find with that tool for similar geometries?

Hello
I've just started using this software. For analytical solution I have the radius of the sphere r=10cm; the charge q=10^-12 C, and I calculated the electric field from the surface of the sphere to 1 meter from the sphere. This evolution I have to simulate using a finite element method software. I know Ansoft MAXWELL using this method for simulations.

Costin Beiu said:
Hello
I've just started using this software. For analytical solution I have the radius of the sphere r=10cm; the charge q=10^-12 C, and I calculated the electric field from the surface of the sphere to 1 meter from the sphere. This evolution I have to simulate using a finite element method software. I know Ansoft MAXWELL using this method for simulations.

There should be some good examples available with the software that are close to the geometry you want to simulate. What have you found in the way of examples? Can you post some links or screenshots for the examples?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your research project with me. Ansoft Maxwell is a powerful software that can be used to simulate electromagnetic fields and solve various electromagnetic problems. In order to simulate the electric field of a charged sphere, there are a few guidelines that you can follow:

1. Set up the geometry: In Ansoft Maxwell, you can create a 3D model of the charged sphere with a radius of 10 cm. Make sure to define the material properties of the sphere as a perfect conductor.

2. Define the boundary conditions: The boundary conditions for this problem would be a conducting sphere with a fixed charge of 1e-012 C. You can define this boundary condition in the software.

3. Set up the simulation: In Ansoft Maxwell, you can set up a time-harmonic simulation to solve for the electric field at different points around the sphere. Make sure to choose an appropriate frequency for the simulation.

4. Analyze the results: After the simulation is complete, you can analyze the results in the software. You can plot the electric field as a function of distance from the sphere (E=f(x)) and compare it with the real solution.

If you are still having trouble setting up the problem in Ansoft Maxwell, I would suggest reaching out to their technical support team for further assistance. They would be able to guide you through the process and help you achieve accurate results.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your research project.

Best,

1. What is Ansoft Maxwell and how does it work?

Ansoft Maxwell is a commercial software used for electromagnetic field simulation. It uses finite element analysis to calculate and visualize the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a given system.

2. Can Ansoft Maxwell simulate the E(r) for a charged sphere?

Yes, Ansoft Maxwell has the capability to simulate the E(r) for a charged sphere. It uses the finite element method to calculate the electric field distribution around the sphere and provides a visual representation of the results.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for simulating E(r) for a charged sphere in Ansoft Maxwell?

Yes, there are some guidelines that need to be followed when simulating E(r) for a charged sphere in Ansoft Maxwell. These include setting up the appropriate material properties and boundary conditions, as well as properly meshing the model for accurate results.

4. What are some common challenges when simulating E(r) for a charged sphere in Ansoft Maxwell?

Some common challenges when simulating E(r) for a charged sphere in Ansoft Maxwell include convergence issues, incorrect boundary conditions, and incorrect material properties. It is important to carefully review and troubleshoot these potential issues to ensure accurate results.

5. Is there any support available for using Ansoft Maxwell to simulate E(r) for a charged sphere?

Yes, there are various resources available for support with using Ansoft Maxwell, including online tutorials, user forums, and technical support from the software company. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of electromagnetic field theory and finite element analysis techniques when using this software.