Answering Questions about Precalculus & Trig

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between College Algebra and Pre-Calculus courses, with the main focus being on the inclusion of trigonometry in Pre-Calculus. While College Algebra tends to be similar to high school Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus minus trig may include more complex numbers, matrices, and the fundamental theorem of algebra and polynomials. However, the speaker notes that their own experience with Pre-Calculus was many years ago and may have changed since then.
Orson
Is this precalculus minus trig?

Physics news on Phys.org
Orson said:
Is this precalculus minus trig?
Yes.

Likes CalcNerd and Orson
This can vary by implementation. In College Algebra courses I have seen, they tend to be closer to a high school Algebra 2 than high school Pre-Calc minus trig. The big differences are: inclusion of more complex numbers, more on matrices and systems of equations (3x3's), and more on the fundamental theorem of algrbra and polynomials. In contrast, most Pre-Calc courses have less of those things to make room not only for trig, but for exponentials, logs, and limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Courtney said:
This can vary buy implementation. In College Algebra courses I have seen, they tend to be closer to a high school Algebra 2 than high school Pre-Calc minus trig. The big differences are: inclusion of more complex numbers, more on matrices and systems of equations (3x3's), and more on the fundamental theorem of algrbra and polynomials. In contrast, most Pre-Calc courses have less of those things to make room not only for trig, but for exponentials, logs, and limits.
Maybe things have changed. All I have to refer to is my own having had studied course many years ago (Pre-Calculus = College Algebra + Trigonometry = Elementary Functions), course descriptions in the college catalogs, some reference textbooks that I've picked up over the years. I studied the full deal, and it was tough going. The course skimped on a few things about linear algebra and a bit on Binomial Theorem but had everything else.

Related to Answering Questions about Precalculus & Trig

1. What is the difference between precalculus and trigonometry?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that prepares students for the study of calculus. It includes topics such as algebra, functions, and basic geometry. Trigonometry, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the study of triangles and their properties, including angles and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is precalculus and trigonometry important?

Precalculus and trigonometry are important because they provide the foundation for higher-level math courses such as calculus, physics, and engineering. They also have practical applications in areas such as navigation, surveying, and architecture.

3. What are some common topics covered in precalculus and trigonometry?

Some common topics in precalculus include functions, algebraic equations and inequalities, exponential and logarithmic functions, and conic sections. In trigonometry, common topics include trigonometric ratios, inverse trigonometric functions, and solving triangles.

4. How can I improve my understanding of precalculus and trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of precalculus and trigonometry, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. You can also use online resources such as tutorials, videos, and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. Can precalculus and trigonometry be used in real-world situations?

Yes, precalculus and trigonometry have many real-world applications. For example, trigonometry can be used to calculate distances and angles in navigation and surveying, while precalculus is used in fields such as physics, economics, and statistics.