Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS for MEMS (Especially Electrostatic)

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    Does anyone have experience simulating MEMS (especially multi-coupled electrostatic analysis) in ANSYS that would answer a few questions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2
    yes we do it all the time
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    I am trying to simulate a 3d comb-drive structure and have had nothing but trouble. I have used their online resources and found a few examples but haven't been able to pull it all together yet. I guess the first question I would ask you is when you are building your model what kind of process do you go through? Do you write 2 physics files (structural and electrostatic) and then solve or is there a better way?

Thank you for your help
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    i suggest you using direct coupled elements. there are elements with electrostatic and mechanical degrees of freedom. doing so may increase your computation time but its easier for beginners. also i strongly suggest you using ansys description language, it will make life a lot more easier.
  6. Jul 17, 2008 #5
    for example plane13
  7. Jul 18, 2008 #6
    Thank you for your help. I have been using APDL to analyze my structures. I hadn't tried using PLANE13 yet, I have been using PLANE223. I had bought the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual and it had said it was an older element with no active development. Thank you for the recommendation, I will give it a try and see if that will help me out a bit.
  8. Feb 15, 2009 #7
    is it possible to do electromagnetic simulation for a mems capacitive switch using ansys
  9. Jul 29, 2009 #8
    hi, I am facing with some problems in working with mems in ANSYS. you said that you have got the Multiphysics for MEMS training manual.how could I have the same manual. would you tell me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?