Semi conductors(especially transistors).

• Thread starter Urmi Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, the transistor doesn't know what circuit it's connected to, it just has a voltage and current supplied to it, and behaves according to its characteristics. The different circuit configurations are just exploiting that to get the desired result.
I just copied the diagram in my book...what can I do? If that's the way my book puts it,there's nothing I can do about it. Besides,I never said I was referring to any website for information on transistors...I'm already too messed up with my own book.

It's definitely true that I want to get this sorted out...how can you blame me for a diagram that seems wrong to you,but infact that's given in my book?
(by the way,in my diagram,I have grounded the emitter)...my course,as I mentioned before,is not to give me an idea as to what transistors do in practical life,but their very basics only...the diagram might be simplified...but the entire first year in my college is following this diagram only.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
The only path from your emitter to ground is via that potential divider, isn't it? That is not "grounded" in the conventional sense. It is offset from ground by a resistor and the resistor value is highly relevant to how the transistor will look. Unless those circles are voltage sources and not meters. Which are they and, as I asked already, where are you measuring currents?

I quote "I got this idea from a website" Post No. 29

Which book are you getting this from? Is it a textbook or your note book? Any textbook worth having will be much more precise in the notation used in diagrams. Have you copied it accurately? That would be essential as electronic circuit layout is not an 'approximate' subject. I'm not "blaming' you - I'm telling you that the circuit makes very little sense and doesn't seem to relate to any of the results you claim to have obtained (and which you, also, haven't put on view). It's really up to you to decide where any criticism should be aimed. I'm just giving opinions on what you're presenting.
The normal thing to do if one textbook is hard to understand the go to another.
If you got the idea from your teacher then either question her about it or a look for it somewhere else. It just doesn't make sense to me. I could always be wrong but. . . .

Also, I would bet a fair amount of money that youd never ever be asked an exam question on any of this!:wink:

sophiecentaur said:
Hi
I quote "I got this idea from a website" Post No. 29

I was talking about only the 'descrpition of a circuit' that I found on the site...the author described the circuits in terms of which terminal was grounded to which..so I tried it out that way...perhaps it was naive of me.

sophiecentaur said:
I'm not "blaming' you - I'm telling you that the circuit makes very little sense ...

I just thought it was a little unfair of you think that I don't really want to "further my knowledge and understanding of transistors," since that's what I've been trying to do for the last two weeks,even in between my exams,and I will certainly continue to do so.

Anyway,I'll try and look for a better book,of my level.where I could perhaps get a better idea from,as you suggested.

A bit unfair, possibly, but I think that you should really aim in the conventional direction until you are far, far better informed about all the accepted stuff. I have had dealings with a lot of young people (males, mostly) who think that they can get there in their own particular way. I always point out that all the famous names did all the groundwork before thay made their ground breaking discoveries. Ifaik, it's the only way.