Antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c)

In summary: But I think that from the definition of Erf, it should be:erf[i a]=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{-z^2} dzBut if you say so, then I'll take your word for it. :lol:In summary, the conversation discussed finding the antiderivative of 1/(sqrt(lnx - c)) and explored different substitutions to solve the problem. The end result involved using the error function (Erf) and its complex counterpart (Erfi) to obtain the final integral. The conversation also touched on the difficulty of solving integrals using traditional methods and the use of Mathematica to find solutions.
rebeka
does anybody know the antiderivative of 1/(sqrt(lnx - (a constant))

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting u = lnx.

i don't think it is possible to solve that problem. could be wrong though

Hmmm, the substitution u= ln(x)- C, along the lines Icebreaker suggested, changes the integral to [tex]\int\frac{e^{u+C}du}{\sqrt{u}}[/tex] but I don't see any simple way to do that.

In fact, the "obvious" substitution [tex]u= \sqrt{ln(x)- C}[/tex] converts the
integral to [tex]2e^C\int e^{u^2}du[/tex] which has no elementary antiderivative!

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to show how Mathematica comes up with the following:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=-\frac{e^{c}\sqrt{\pi}\left(1-Erf\left[\sqrt{c-ln(x)}\right]\right)\sqrt{-c+ln(x)}}{\sqrt{c-ln(x)}}[/tex]

I'll try too.

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to show how Mathematica comes up with the following:
You can verify the result if you like by showing the derivatives of each side are equal. Seeing how Mathematica comes up with it though is much harder and not very helpful. Mathematica does not do integral like a person would. If Integrate had a ShowSteps option what you would see would likely be ridiculuously long and complicated.
On the verification front
the substitution u=i Sqrt(log(x)-C) gives
[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{\log(x)-C}}dx=-2i e^c\int e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
Thus all that is needed to bridge to the mathematica result is to use (under suitable conditions)
sqrt(C-log(x))=i sqrt(log(x)-C)

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
You can verify the result if you like by showing the derivatives of each side are equal. Seeing how Mathematica comes up with it though is much harder and not very helpful. Mathematica does not do integral like a person would. If Integrate had a ShowSteps option what you would see would likely be ridiculuously long and complicated.

Hello Lurflurf. The destination is not the objective but rather the journey. :smile:

"Equal rights for special functions." :smile:

Of course erf's evil brother erfi could also be used.

lurflurf said:
On the verification front
the substitution u=i Sqrt(log(x)-C) gives
[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{\log(x)-C}}dx=-2i e^c\int e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
Thus all that is needed to bridge to the mathematica result is to use (under suitable conditions)
sqrt(C-log(x))=i sqrt(log(x)-C)

Thanks Lurflurf. That's very helpful cus' I wasn't getting anywhere in the Real world. Still not happening for me but I'll continue working on it . . . it's a pleasant ride. :smile:

I'm making progress with this. Using Lurflurf's substitution, I obtain:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=-2i e^c \int e^{-u^2}du,\quad u(x)=i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}[/tex]

Since:

[tex]Erf(t)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int e^{-t^2}dt[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\int e^{-t^2}dt=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}Erf(t)[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}dx=-i e^c\sqrt{\pi} Erf \left[i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right][/tex]

Now, as long as [itex] c\leq ln(x)[/itex],

[tex] Erf\left[i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right] [/tex]

will be a pure complex number (prove?) and thus the integral will be a positive real number.

I don't know how to calculate (numerical or otherwise) the value of erf(ai). Can someone please show me?

[tex]Erf[ia]=?[/tex]

saltydog said:
I'm making progress with this. Using Lurflurf's substitution, I obtain:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=-2i e^c \int e^{-u^2}du,\quad u(x)=i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}[/tex]

Since:

[tex]Erf(t)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int e^{-t^2}dt[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\int e^{-t^2}dt=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}Erf(t)[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}dx=-i e^c\sqrt{\pi} Erf \left[i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right][/tex]

Now, as long as [itex] c\leq ln(x)[/itex],

[tex] Erf\left[i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right] [/tex]

will be a pure complex number (prove?) and thus the integral will be a positive real number.

I don't know how to calculate (numerical or otherwise) the value of erf(ai). Can someone please show me?

[tex]Erf[ia]=?[/tex]

Alright, I got it by considering the Riemann sum:

[tex]Erf(ia)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ia} e^{-t^2}dt=\frac{2i}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{t^2}dt[/tex]

Thus, applying this to the problem above we have:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=-ie^c\sqrt{\pi} Erf \left[ i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right][/tex]

Now:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
Erf \left[i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}\right]&=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{i\sqrt{ln(x)-c}} e^{-t^2}dt \\
&=\frac{2i}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}} e^{t^2}dt
\end{align}
[/tex]

Thus we finally have:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=2e^c\int_0^{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}} e^{t^2}dt[/tex]

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Thus we finally have:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=2e^c\int_0^{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}} e^{t^2}dt[/tex]

Well, wait. That's just substituting a tough integral for a more-tough one. So, let's do this:

Let:

[tex]Sa[x,c]=\int_0^{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}} e^{t^2}dt;\quad x>0\quad\text{and}\quad ln(x)\geq c[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{ln(x)-c}}=2e^cSa(x,c)[/tex]

See, that's much better. :smile:

saltydog said:

[tex]Erf[ia]=?[/tex]
Your to quick but I'll say this anyway.
[tex]erf(i a)=-i erfi(a)=-i\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{z^2} dz[/tex]
for fun put the integral into mathematica differently and try to get a result in terms of erfi.
integral=exp(C)sqrt(pi)efi(sqrt(x))
Also when trying to get the same form as mathematica
u=i sqrt(log(x)-C)=sqrt(-log(x)+C)

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
Your to quick but I'll say this anyway.
[tex]erf(i a)=-i erfi(a)=-i\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{z^2} dz[/tex]
for fun put the integral into mathematica differently and try to get a result in terms of erfi.
integral=exp(C)sqrt(pi)efi(sqrt(x))
Also when trying to get the same form as mathematica
u=i sqrt(log(x)-C)=sqrt(-log(x)+C)

I don't think it's a minus i right? That is:

[tex]erf[i a]=\frac{2i}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{z^2} dz[/tex]

I mean you're better at this than me. :smile:

saltydog said:
I don't think it's a minus i right? That is:

[tex]erf[i a]=\frac{2i}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^a e^{z^2} dz[/tex]
Drats I was thinking sdrawkcab.
erf(i a)=i erfi(a)
I mixed that up with
erfi(a)=-i erf(i a)
to produce the error.

1. What is the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c)?

The antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) is 2/sqrt(lnx - c) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) be simplified?

Yes, the antiderivative can be simplified to 2√(lnx - c) + C.

3. Is it possible to find the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) analytically?

Yes, it is possible to find the antiderivative analytically using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. Can the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

No, the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It is an example of a non-elementary integral.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c)?

Yes, the antiderivative of 1/sqrt(lnx - c) is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics for solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.