Antiderivative of product of trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative of sin^4(x)tan^2(x) using integration by parts and trigonometric identities. Both approaches lead to an unwieldy integral, but simplifying using sines and cosines or expanding the expression can make it more manageable.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Find the antiderivative of [tex]sin^4(x)tan^2(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trig identities I may have overlooked.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing the integrand in terms of sin and cos but that didn't seem to lead anywhere. I tried integration by parts since the antiderivative of [tex]tan^2(x)[/tex] is [tex]tanx - x + C[/tex], but that approach lead to a more difficult integral that might have been solved using a messier integration by parts.

This isn't really homework since I'm in a theoretical calc course and we begin the theory of integration next quarter (in fact, we're on break). Anyways I used to be pretty good with elementary terms integration but I'm stuck. Could someone suggest a good first step? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this will go with integration by parts.
Try u = tan^2(x)sin^3(x) and dv = sin(x)dx.

This gave me an unwieldy-looking integral, but after simplifying to sines and cosines, I was left with [tex]\int \frac{sin x}{cos^2 x} dx[/tex] and [tex]\int sin^4 x dx[/tex]. There were constant multipliers that I have omitted.

The first integral is an easy one and the second isn't too hard.
Hope that helps.

Another potential way to do this integral is by converting everything to cosines because there is a cosine downstairs:

[tex]\int \sin^4x\,\tan^2x\,dx = \int\frac{(1-\cos^2 x)^3}{\cos^2 x}\,dx = \int \frac{1 - 3\cos^2 x + 3\cos^4 x - \cos^6 x}{\cos^2 x}\,dx[/tex]​

Each of the resulting integrals should be fairly simple to solve.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Mark44, did you arrive at those two integrals after applying integration by parts once? I got sin sin^4(x) term but the the one before that (I think it was sin^4(x)/cos^2(x) or something). I'll try it again though.

Tedjn, I thought of the very first equality you posed but did not think to expand it. That is quite a neat trick, i.e., decrease the powers by expansion. A few expansions and some computation and it worked out well. Thanks.

snipez90 said:
Thank you both for the suggestions.

Mark44, did you arrive at those two integrals after applying integration by parts once?
Yes.
snipez90 said:
I got sin sin^4(x) term but the the one before that (I think it was sin^4(x)/cos^2(x) or something). I'll try it again though.

Tedjn, I thought of the very first equality you posed but did not think to expand it. That is quite a neat trick, i.e., decrease the powers by expansion. A few expansions and some computation and it worked out well. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for finding the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions?

The formula for finding the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions is:∫(sinx)(cosx)dx = (sin^2x)/2 + C

2. Can the product of more than two trigonometric functions be integrated using the same formula?

Yes, the same formula can be used to find the antiderivative of a product of more than two trigonometric functions. Simply apply the formula for each pair of trigonometric functions and add the resulting antiderivatives together.

3. Are there any special cases when finding the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions. For example, when the product is a constant multiple of one of the trigonometric functions, the constant can be factored out and the antiderivative can be found using the formula for a single trigonometric function.

4. Can the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions be expressed in terms of other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions can be expressed in terms of other trigonometric functions. For example, the antiderivative of (sinx)(cosx) can also be written as (sin^2x)/2 + C = (1-cos^2x)/2 + C = (1/2)-(cos^2x)/2 + C = (1/2)sin^2x + C.

5. How can the antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions be used in real-life applications?

The antiderivative of a product of trigonometric functions can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve or finding the displacement of an object moving with sinusoidal motion. It can also be used in calculus to solve problems involving trigonometric equations or to simplify complicated integrals.