Antiderivitives of complex functions

In summary: However, this is only true for complex functions, as shown in the example of f(x)=e^(-1/x^2). For real functions, the existence of an antiderivative alone does not necessarily mean that the function is analytic.
fivestar
My question is dose the existence of an antiderivitive in a domain imply that the function is anaylitic in that domain? (when f(x) is continuous on that domain.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably this antiderivative is analytic on the domain, and hence so is its derivative, which is f.

Thanks for the reply. Let me make sure i have this right. A function is only analytic if its antiderivitive is analytic? That means that just the existence of an antiderivitive alone dose not show that the function is analytic?

Thanks again.

" Presumably this antiderivative is analytic on the domain, and hence so is its derivative, which is f."

Why would that be presumed? The question was whether or not the fact tha a function is once differentiable is enough to conclude that is is analytic on an interval. The function [itex]f(x)= e^{-\FRAC{1}{x^2}}[/itex] if x is not 0. f(0)= 0 is infinitely differentiable but not analytic.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Why would that be presumed?
Because I was under the impression that this question was complex analytic in flavor, i.e. that we're talking about complex derivatives.

for complex functions, having an antiderivative implies that the antiderivative has one derivative and hence is analytic, thus so is the derivative, i.e. the original function.

simply out, for complex functions, the answer is yes.

1. What is an antiderivative of a complex function?

An antiderivative of a complex function is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original complex function as its result.

2. How is the antiderivative of a complex function different from the antiderivative of a real function?

The antiderivative of a complex function is different from the antiderivative of a real function because it involves complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. This means that the antiderivative of a complex function will also have both a real and imaginary component.

3. Can all complex functions have an antiderivative?

No, not all complex functions have an antiderivative. For a complex function to have an antiderivative, it must be analytic, which means it is infinitely differentiable in a region of the complex plane. Functions that have singularities or discontinuities do not have antiderivatives.

4. How do you find the antiderivative of a complex function?

To find the antiderivative of a complex function, you can use the same techniques as finding the antiderivative of a real function, such as the power rule, chain rule, or substitution. However, you must also consider the complex numbers and their properties when performing these operations.

5. Can the antiderivative of a complex function be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

In most cases, the antiderivative of a complex function cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This means that there is no simple algebraic expression for the antiderivative, unlike in the case of real functions. Instead, the antiderivative may be expressed in terms of special functions, such as the exponential or logarithmic functions.