Antimatter falling upwards because of gravity?

In summary, CERN scientists are conducting experiments to determine if antihydrogen atoms occupy the same energy levels as hydrogen and how they react to gravity. They plan to cool a small group of antihydrogen atoms to observe their behavior, and this could potentially provide insights into the properties of antimatter. Some have speculated that antimatter may fall up due to its opposite properties, but this is purely speculative at this point and goes against current understanding of gravity.
rollcast
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-cern-scientists-confine-antihydrogen-atoms.html

One of the big questions in physics is whether antihydrogen atoms occupy the same energy levels as hydrogen; others of course want to know how it reacts to gravity, as some have speculated that antihydrogen might actually fall up, or behave in other unexpected ways. The experiments going on at CERN might just answer both those questions, and more.

Up next for the ALPHA team are plans to cool a small bunch of antihydrogen atoms in such a way as to allow them to watch as it either rises or falls due to gravity, thus answering one of the more exciting questions regarding antimatter, in perhaps just the next few months.

When I read this I couldn't get my head around it, they are try to suggest that something with mass would be repulsed by gravity instead of attracted by it. This would mean the antihydrogen has a mass of a negative quantity, if I'm getting this so far.

However negative quantities as far as I understood would be highly unlikely as that would be like the same as saying that triangle has side of length -10cm?

Have I missed out a large part of the physics of this or am I just stupid

Thanks
AL

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As it said, it's purely speculation, at least for the time being. It doesn't really make any sense to me to be honest. I say that because there's only so far you can take the "it's exactly opposite" thought process.

I agree with the above comments. That anti-matter has anti-gravity properties has no basis(so far)
An interesting comment from that link said something like "well, why doesn't a lone anti-proton fall up?"
To be sure, I'm not even close to being an expert, so I guess I'll see whatever results come about.

It is all but certain that antimatter falls down. If it fell up, energy conservation would be violated, and we would see composition dependent gravitational forces in Eotvos-type experiments. Would it be nice to see for certain? Sure...but nobody expects anything besides "it falls down at 9.8 m/s2"

1. How is it possible for antimatter to fall upwards?

Antimatter is known to have the opposite charge and spin of regular matter, but it still has mass. This means that it is still subject to the same laws of gravity as regular matter. Despite its opposite charge, the attractive force of gravity still pulls antimatter towards regular matter, causing it to fall upwards.

2. Is there evidence of antimatter falling upwards in nature?

Yes, there have been experiments conducted at CERN which have observed antimatter falling upwards due to gravity. Additionally, certain cosmic rays have been found to contain both matter and antimatter particles, indicating that they must have fallen upwards towards each other at some point.

3. How does antimatter falling upwards impact our understanding of gravity?

The fact that antimatter falls upwards because of gravity challenges our current understanding of gravity and raises questions about the nature of gravity and how it interacts with different types of matter. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

4. Could antimatter falling upwards be used as a source of energy?

While it is theoretically possible to harness the energy released from the annihilation of matter and antimatter, the process is not currently practical or efficient enough to be used as a viable source of energy. Additionally, the production and containment of antimatter is extremely difficult and costly.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with antimatter falling upwards?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that antimatter falling upwards poses any significant risks or dangers. However, as with any scientific discovery, further research and understanding is needed before any definitive conclusions can be made.