Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter: Production, storage and gravity experiments

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    Prodution and storage of antimatter seems to be a hard task. The latter is of course because antimatter is annihilated when it makes contact with regular matter.

Still, wouldn't it be possible to create [tex]\overline{^3He}^-[/tex] ions and store these in a metal container which has a lot of negative charge? By evacuating all of the air from the container before storage, we would be able to keep the [tex]\overline{^3He}^-[/tex] ions from getting into contact with regular matter gas molecules or the walls of the container.

[tex]\overline{^3He}[/tex] can be created in high energy lead-lead collisions*. Wouldn't it be possible to ionize these and store them as described above?

If we could make and store [tex]\overline{^3He}^-[/tex] as described above, we would be able to preform gravity experiments given enough [tex]\overline{^3He}^-[/tex] ions to make up a gas large enough for experimentation.

* http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1367-...quest-id=4644ee8e-5019-4336-92fa-9fa9bb1511c9
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

I suggest you look at how many anti-helium-3 ions were produced, how long this experiment ran for, and calculate how many trillions of years you need to make a gram of anti-helium. I'll even let you assume 100% collection efficiency.
  4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    I realize that the method of production the article describes is unsufficient for the purpose of creating enough antihelium to preform experiments on, but it is the only method of production I am aware of.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook