Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms

In summary: Check out:Jordan normal form - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIt shows how to find a similar matrix in a normalized form so you can immediately read off all the important matrix properties.
ognik
Hi - the text is very brief on similarity transforms and wiki etc. a bit beyond where I am. In fact I think I am muddling a few things up, so I have a few questions around this topic please:
1) I'd appreciate a 'beginners' explanation of similarity transforms, what they really are and what they are most useful for?
2) Are all similarity transforms not orthogonal?
3) I think that an antisymetric matrix cannot be orthogonal, but I get the impression they are related by more than the '-' sign?
4) Finally an exercise where I'd appreciate a starter tip - if not already included in the answers above:"Show that the property of antisymetry is invariant under orthogonal similarity transformations" . All help much appreciated :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - the text is very brief on similarity transforms and wiki etc. a bit beyond where I am. In fact I think I am muddling a few things up, so I have a few questions around this topic please:
1) I'd appreciate a 'beginners' explanation of similarity transforms, what they really are and what they are most useful for?
2) Are all similarity transforms not orthogonal?
3) I think that an antisymetric matrix cannot be orthogonal, but I get the impression they are related by more than the '-' sign?
4) Finally an exercise where I'd appreciate a starter tip - if not already included in the answers above:"Show that the property of antisymetry is invariant under orthogonal similarity transformations" . All help much appreciated :-)

Hey ognik!

1) A similarity transformation of a matrix A, is where you first apply some matrix to A and afterwards "undo" the effect of that matrix by applying its inverse.
A different name for it is conjugation.

It's one of the basic principles to solve many puzzles.
Take for instance Rubik's cube.
A conjugate move is one of the form $XYX^{-1}$. It is also called a "setup move".
That is, $X^{-1}$ is the setup for a move $Y$. Afterwards the setup move is reversed, leaving only the effect of $Y$ that has been tweaked a bit.

Two matrices are called similar if there is a similarity transformation that transforms the one into the other.
And here's where to power of similarity manifests: most properties of those similar matrices are identical.
For instance, they have the same determinant, the same eigenvalues, the same trace, and so on.2) A similarity transform is typically not orthogonal - it's not even a matrix transform. It's a transformation that consists of 2 matrices: one that is applied before, and its inverse that is applied after.

Of course a similarity transform can be built from an orthogonal matrix.3) Pick \(\displaystyle (^{0\ -1}_{1\ \phantom{-}0})\).
Is it antisymmetric? Is it orthogonal?4) Suppose A is antisymmetric and B is orthogonal. Then $BAB^{-1}$ is such a similarity transformation.
In index notation it is:
$$(bab^{-1})_{ij} = \sum_{k,l} b_{ik}a_{kl}b^{-1}_{lj}$$
Can you prove that it is equal to:
$$-(bab^{-1})_{ji}$$
? (Wondering)

Great, thanks!
1) Very clear. Do you perhaps have a link to an example where a matrix has been tweaked (usefully), so I can sit and contemplate it a bit?
2) Thanks, clear.
3) OK, I had read the problem as A being both antisymetric AND Orthogonal, that 'de-confuses' both 3) and 4) thanks.
Regards

1. What is "Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms"?

"Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms" is a mathematical concept that describes the preservation of symmetry in a system when it undergoes a similarity transformation followed by an orthogonal transformation. In simpler terms, it refers to the property of a system remaining symmetric even after it undergoes certain transformations.

2. Why is "Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms" important?

This concept has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps in understanding the behavior of symmetric systems and can aid in solving complex problems involving symmetry.

3. How is "Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms" different from other symmetry properties?

Unlike other symmetry properties, such as rotational or translational symmetry, this concept focuses on the preservation of symmetry under specific transformations. It is a more specific and specialized form of symmetry.

4. What are some examples of systems that exhibit "Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms"?

One common example is a symmetric matrix, which remains symmetric even after undergoing similarity and orthogonal transformations. Another example is a crystal lattice, which maintains its symmetry under certain transformations.

5. How is "Antisymmetry Invariant Under Similarity Orthogonal Transforms" used in real-world applications?

This concept is used in fields such as crystallography, where it helps in analyzing the symmetry of crystals. It is also used in image and signal processing algorithms, where preserving symmetry is important in maintaining the integrity of the data.