1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Any books on Ordinary Differential Equations w/ applications

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1
    Hello, I really need a good book on ordinary differential equations with applications on Quantum Mechanics, as I will be attending a course on QM but I do not have the proper mathematical background that is needed.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2015 #2
    Try "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas. It's doesn't cover only DEs, but it's got some of everything (at an undergrad level). If you have no exposure to differential equations, you should probably focus on just a differential equations textbook without worrying if it's extremely focused on applications.

I'm of the opinion that you should be comfortable with the math needed in a course before the course starts, because it's a whole lot easier to learn the physics behind something than it is to learn the physics behind something while simultaneously trying to learn the language it's represented in. So I'd say any differential equations textbook would do.

Any differential equations techniques that are needed in quantum mechanics that aren't covered in many DE textbooks will likely be covered in the quantum mechanics textbook anyway.

4. Dec 5, 2015 #3
    T
    Thank you! Do you know if there is anything else needed for Quantum Mechanics that I should also learn before taking the course?

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4
    If it's a full course on quantum mechanics, it wouldn't hurt to get some background in linear algebra if your linear algebra isn't strong.

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5
    You probably need more partial differential equations rather than differential equations

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6
    To be more specific, do you mean having a strong background on eigenvalue problems and matrix operations or do I need more? Also, what about Fourier analysis(and Fourier integrals)?

8. Dec 6, 2015 #7
    The mathematics course that is a prerequisite to the quantum mechanics course does not include partial differential equations, so I expect the professor of the QM course to teach us the basic techniques that will be used in his course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted