Any gate i can substitute to xor gate?

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate
In summary, XOR gates can be substituted with NAND or NOR gates, and can also be defined using a truth table or boolean algebra. In order to create a binary adder circuit without an XOR gate, you can use AND, OR, and NOT gates and convert them into NAND or NOR gates. Additionally, XOR can also be expressed as A or B and Not(A and B).
chrisalviola
any gate i can substitute to xor gate?
if i don't have xor gate what gate i can use to substitute it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If this is homework - what is XOR in boolean algebra ?

In practical terms you can build any logic out of either NAND or NOR, most chips only implement one of these.

chrisalviola said:
any gate i can substitute to xor gate?
if i don't have xor gate what gate i can use to substitute it?

define xor with a truth table.

mgb_phys said:
If this is homework - what is XOR in boolean algebra ?

In practical terms you can build any logic out of either NAND or NOR, most chips only implement one of these.

nope not a homework
i want to make a binary adder cuircuit i don't have an xor gate only and, or & not.

rootx said:
define xor with a truth table.

0 0 -0
0 1-1
1 0-1
1 1-0

chrisalviola said:
0 0 -0
0 1-1
1 0-1
1 1-0

xor = not(a).b + a.not(b)

I also thought this is a homework problem. You can easily get this into and/or gates. If there are more than 2 inputs, you should be using k-maps. Once, you have in and/or gates, it is simple to convert it into nand (using Sum of products form) or nors (using products of sums or simply messing with bool algebra...)

problem solved

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/xor_function.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
xor = not(a).b + a.not(b)

I also thought this is a homework problem. You can easily get this into and/or gates. If there are more than 2 inputs, you should be using k-maps. Once, you have in and/or gates, it is simple to convert it into nand (using Sum of products form) or nors (using products of sums or simply messing with bool algebra...)
tnks

Isn't it, A or B and not( A and B)

1. What is an XOR gate?

An XOR (exclusive OR) gate is a digital logic gate that outputs a true (1) value only when one of its inputs is true, but not both. In other words, the output is true if the inputs are different, and false if they are the same.

2. Why would I want to substitute an XOR gate?

While XOR gates are commonly used in digital circuits, there may be situations where a different gate is needed. For example, if an XOR gate is not available, or if a different gate has specific functions that would be more suitable for the circuit.

3. What other gates can be substituted for an XOR gate?

Any other logic gate can potentially be substituted for an XOR gate, depending on the specific circuit and its requirements. Some common alternatives include the XNOR gate, NAND gate, and NOR gate.

4. How do I substitute a gate for an XOR gate?

The process of substituting a gate for an XOR gate will vary depending on the circuit and the specific gate being used. In general, the inputs and outputs of the original XOR gate will need to be matched with the inputs and outputs of the new gate, and any necessary adjustments will need to be made to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. Can I substitute multiple gates for an XOR gate?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple gates to achieve the same function as an XOR gate. For example, two NAND gates can be used to create an XOR gate, or a combination of AND, OR, and NOT gates can be used. However, this may not always be the most efficient or practical solution, so it is important to carefully consider the needs of the circuit before making any substitutions.