Any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3

  • Thread starter Thread starter kathrynag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elements Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
kathrynag
Messages
595
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that any group with three elements is isomorphic to [tex]Z_{3}[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Let G be the group of three elements
We have an isomorphism if given c:G--->[tex]Z_{3}[/tex],
if c is one-to -one and onto and c(ab)=c(a)c(b)

First, we check one-to-one
We want c(a)=c(b) to imply a=b
My problem here is how to define c(a), c(b).
Onto:
We want c(a)=x and want to solve for a?
c(ab):
Same problem with not knowing what c(ab) is
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a group of three elements {e,a,b}. Since the order of every element must be three, we have that b=a². Thus the group is {e,a,a²}.

Define the map G --> Z3 by
e ---> 0
a ---> 1
b ---> 2

It is easily checked that this is indeed an iso.
 
So c(a)=c(b)
c(a)=1
c(b)=2
1=2 not true, but that means it's not an isomorphism
 
I thought for the one to one part, you assume c(a)=c(b)
 
but I assumed that but that amounts to 1=2. How does that work?
 
You assumed that c(a)=c(b), and from that assimption followed that 1=2. So your assumption is wrong, and thus [tex]c(a)\neq c(b)[/tex]
 
Then I guess I don't see how to show 1-1

onto
y=c(x)
Do I just take any element, say a
y=c(a)=1
y=1, but we want to solve for x I thought

c(a)c(b)
1*2
2=c(ab)
 
You show 1-1 by a simple proof by contradiction. I'm sorry, but a math major really should be able to do such a thing...