Any idea for this nonlinear equation?

In summary, a user is seeking help for a nonlinear equation for diffusion of multiphase fluids in porous media. They share the equation and mention that they have been unable to find a solution for it. Another user asks for clarification on the variables and provides a possible solution in the form of two types of particular solutions. The first user thanks them and asks for clarification on the second type of solution. The second user provides the corrected equations and mentions that they do not believe these functions represent the general solution. They also mention that these functions are not orthogonal, making it difficult to find particular solutions for them.
fery
Hi

I have a nonlinear equation for diffusion of multiphase fluids in porous media, and it is like
1/2(Laplacian(P^2)+d(p)/dy=d(p)/dt
I couldn't find any analytical or semianalytical solution for this equation, do you have any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write out your DE more clearly. Independent and dependent (P and/or p) variables first of all.

Sure, P = P(x,y,t), Laplacian = d/dx2 + d/dy2, As I said this nonlinear equation represents diffusion of capillary pressure in porous media.

If I understand rightly, your PDE is

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2 P^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 P^2}{\partial y^2})+\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}[/tex]

I do not think that it is easy to find the general solution to the PDE, but you can find some particular solutions of the type

[tex]P = \frac{1}{C_5 +C_6 \tanh(C_1+C_2 x+iC_2 (y+t))}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{k}e^{-\frac{kx}{2}}\sqrt{e^{2kx}C_1 -C_2 }\sqrt{C_3 \sin[k(y+t)]-C_4 \cos[k(y+t)]}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks you, I am not quite sure about the second type, can you fix the Parenthesis.

[tex]P = \frac{1}{C_5 +C_6 \tanh[C_1+C_2 x+iC_2 (y+t)]}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{k}e^{-\frac{kx}{2}}\sqrt{e^{2kx}C_1 -C_2 }\sqrt{C_3 \sin[k(y+t)]-C_4 \cos[k(y+t)]}[/tex]

kosovtsov said:
[tex]P = \frac{1}{C_5 +C_6 \tanh[C_1+C_2 x+iC_2 (y+t)]}[/tex]

Since your in such an advanced math and know a lot about it, does that make sense when you look at it? I mean is it hard for you or scary? if you understand what i mean i know its a sill question and maybe for this thread.

If you are asking me, I don't think these functions represent the general solution of the equation. And they are not orthogonal so if they would be the general solution, we would never be able to find particular solution for them.

1. What is a nonlinear equation?

A nonlinear equation is an equation that does not have a straight line graph. This means that the relationship between the variables is not proportional and cannot be represented by a linear function.

2. How is a nonlinear equation different from a linear equation?

A linear equation has a constant rate of change and can be represented by a straight line. In contrast, a nonlinear equation has varying rates of change and cannot be represented by a straight line. Nonlinear equations are typically more complex and can have multiple solutions.

3. What are some examples of nonlinear equations?

Some examples of nonlinear equations include quadratic equations, exponential equations, and trigonometric equations. These equations involve variables raised to a power, such as x^2 or e^x, and have a curved graph instead of a straight line.

4. How do you solve a nonlinear equation?

Solving a nonlinear equation can be more challenging than solving a linear equation. Depending on the type of equation, different methods such as substitution, graphing, or using a calculator may be used. In some cases, an exact solution cannot be found and an approximate solution must be used.

5. What are some real-life applications of nonlinear equations?

Nonlinear equations are used in many fields of science and engineering to model complex relationships. Some examples include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and forecasting stock market trends. Nonlinear equations are also used in physics, chemistry, and biology to describe natural phenomena.