Any non-elementary gamma fcn formulas?

In summary, the conversation revolves around writing a paper on the gamma function and discussing various formulae and approximations involving it. These include the usual limit of a product definition, two infinite products, improper integrals for Re[z]>0, the Guass multiplication formula, Stirling's asymptotic series for complex arguments, the Bohr-Mollerup Thm, the Residues at the poles, and the Hankel contour integral for 1/Gamma.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm writing a paper which includes a treatment of the gamma function, and I am taking suggestions for non-elementary formulae involving the gamma function. I have the usual limit of a product definition, two infinite products, the usual improper integrals for Re[z]>0, the Guass multiplication formula, Stirling's asymptotic series for complex arguements, the Bohr-Mollerup Thm, the Residues at the poles... did I miss anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the Hankel contour integral for 1/Gamma?

Thanks, shmoe! I did miss one. I also got the reflection formula, though I forgot to mention it.

benorin said:
I'm writing a paper which includes a treatment of the gamma function, and I am taking suggestions for non-elementary formulae involving the gamma function. I have the usual limit of a product definition, two infinite products, the usual improper integrals for Re[z]>0, the Guass multiplication formula, Stirling's asymptotic series for complex arguements, the Bohr-Mollerup Thm, the Residues at the poles... did I miss anything?

To summarize all these approximations and take mean value?
:smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a non-elementary gamma function?

A non-elementary gamma function is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions. It is denoted by the symbol Γ and is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the difference between the non-elementary gamma function and the elementary gamma function?

The elementary gamma function, also known as the gamma function, is a special case of the non-elementary gamma function where the input is a positive integer or a half-integer. In contrast, the non-elementary gamma function can take any real or complex number as its input.

3. What are some common applications of the non-elementary gamma function?

The non-elementary gamma function has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in probability theory, number theory, and combinatorics. It also plays a significant role in solving differential equations and evaluating complex integrals.

4. Can the non-elementary gamma function be approximated?

Yes, the non-elementary gamma function can be approximated using different methods such as Taylor series, asymptotic expansions, and numerical integration. These approximations are often used in numerical computations where an exact value is not required.

5. Are there any special properties of the non-elementary gamma function?

Yes, the non-elementary gamma function has several interesting properties. For example, it satisfies the functional equation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z) and has poles at negative integers. It also has connections to other mathematical functions such as the beta function and the hypergeometric function.