Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any obsessive handwashers out there?

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    What lotion do you use? I wash my hands frequently and it has skyrocketed since I purchased a dog. The skin on my hands is like paper now and is cracking a little and bleeding. I put some baby oil on them today for relief, but I just wonder if there is a strong and better lotion out there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

This is what we call taking things to the extreme...

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Hydrochloric acid works wonders for cleaning off the skin...

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glycerona is a good hand cream, what do you use for washing your hands? It should be mild.

8. Feb 5, 2013 #7
    What.ev.errr.
    :grumpy: I read this...but I do not think it applies to me....I was asking people who it does apply to for advice:biggrin: or anyone who knows of a good hand cream/lotion.
    you use soap as a lotion? omg
    I see...I have some in my stomach I can lend you
    Thanks Monique ... I will see if I can get some. I usually use what is around the house like dishwashing liquid, Ivory soap, or liquid handsoap. Last night I bought a mild liquid handsoap with aloe vera. The skin on my hands tends to dry and crack easily in the winter for whatever reason. I haven't had to wash dishes in a while, but when I used to be the only one washing them I would really suffer in the winter--even with the most gentle dishwashing liquid. I tried using Aquaphor but I do not like the petroleum-jelly like feel on my hands.

9. Feb 5, 2013 #8
    I used to wash and scrub my hands until the skin started rubbing off and blood started seeping out but I don't do that anymore

10. Feb 5, 2013 #9

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I wash my hands almost every time I go to the bathroom... as an experienced hand washer, I have no idea what to recommend. My hands crack and bleed in the winter also.

11. Feb 5, 2013 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't use dishwashing detergent for washing hands, it's a sure way to wash away the natural defenses of the skin. My hands also crack in the winter, wearing gloves outside helps a lot in reducing that.

12. Feb 5, 2013 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2012/09/30/health-q-a-art-gftjedgu-10930-neosporin.jpg [Broken]
    bandaid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  13. Feb 5, 2013 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't use antibiotics (neosporin) when you don't need them, unless you want to contribute to the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

14. Feb 5, 2013 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trust me. Cracked and bleeding fingers is exactly why you need these. This is what we're talking about.

Capture3.jpg

15. Feb 5, 2013 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you post that picture and not a picture of an MRSA-infected wound?

16. Feb 5, 2013 #15
    I work in a hospital and see and touch patients several times a day. I use antibacterial gel every time I enter and leave a room plus lots of times when I'm just walking down the hallway. It probably amounts to a few dozen uses per day, plus of course I wash my hands anytime I use the restroom.

I've found this has affected my hand hygiene at home as well. I keep lots of little antibacterial gel bottles around and use them frequently and wash my hands every so often "just because".

17. Feb 5, 2013 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Feb 5, 2013 #17

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

19. Feb 5, 2013 #18

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This awakens memories of a classic Peanuts cartoon strip. I haven't found the strip itself online yet, but I can reconstruct the dialog from memory, at least approximately:

CHARLIE BROWN: [patting Snoopy] I have to go to dinner now, Snoopy.
    SALLY: And now you have to wash your hands again because you touched the dog.
    CHARLIE BROWN: [walking off] Oh, good grief.
    SNOOPY: [ears perking up] "Touched the dog?" [glaring at Sally] "Touched the dog!?!"
    SALLY: [backing away] Stay away from me, my hands are clean!
    SNOOPY: [chasing Sally] Pat my head and get a handful of germs! Beware the walking disease carrier! I'm loaded with bubonic plague!
    SALLY: [standing on a dresser] HELP!
    SNOOPY: [walking off] "Touched the dog." Good grief.

20. Feb 5, 2013 #19
    Hi!

Yes, I also suffer from this particular symptom of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, amongst a few others.

My hands always get extremely dry during the Winter, with painful cuts that will bleed if I do nothing about them.

I personally recommend this cream:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4333/niveahandsosintensiveba.jpg [Broken]

I don't know if you can find it where you live, but if you do, trust me that this is the best thing you can get.

Not only is it the only cream I've ever tried that actually works, but it has also done true wonders for me, healing the cuts and hydrating the skin in my hands.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Feb 5, 2013 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because I work with chemicals, I wash my hands a lot. I wear disposable gloves of course but it's the powder residue from the glove I'm constantly washing off.

I use St. Ives hand lotion - by far the best of ones I've tried. Soaks in fast and it's not greasy. Pretty cheap, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook