Any Other Health Nuts Out There?

In summary: I don't feel very good the next day. I do it mainly for the immediate rewards. Like I said, I feel great every day, have plenty of energy, and never get sick or injured. I do look forward to being elderly and not having debilitating diseases, injuries, and hefty medical bills, but that is hardly my primary motivation. I wouldn't say that I avoid risks, either. In fact, I can be rather reckless at times and should have been killed many times when I was younger.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
What Do You Do To Stay Healthy?

It seems odd that so many of my scientifically educated brethren neglect their health, when they know as well as anyone after all the biology and chemistry classes exactly how important maintaining a healthy body is. I eat three moderately sized meals each day, with at least one snack between each, portioning out proteins and carbohydrates. I never eat any saturated fats, sticking entirely with olive and flaxseed oil, along with raw nuts and pumpkin seeds. I have a good serving of fruits or vegetables with every meal and only eat lean poultry and fish (no red meat). I do all of my own cooking and rarely eat out. I only drink water, green tea, and fruit juice, no soda or alcohol. I take no drugs. I take a multivitamin, herbal, amino acid, and neurotransmitter supplements, along with a protein shake on most days. I sleep well every night. I play basketball for about an hour each day, stretch every morning, and try to get to the track for some running and plyometrics at least three days a week. The only thing I've really been lax on is strength training.

I almost feel weird when I get home from the gym on a Friday night and my housemates are drinking and partying. Meanwhile, I make myself a fruit smoothie with whey protein and flaxseed oil and go lay down to read after showering and stretching.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm just a squirrel in this world trying to get a nut! :rofl:

Perhaps I should have titled this differently. Remember the old house song "Gonna Make you Sweat?"

I'm just a squirrel trying get a nut
So move your butt to the dance floor
Come on, say "yeah,"
Everybody over here, everybody over there
The crowd is live and I pursue this groove
Party people in the house move

Some of us scientists would sacrifice some degree of longevity for more sinful pleasures. To each his own.

Why "sinful" pleasures? I derive a good deal of pleasure from feeling great every day, having an abundance of energy, and never getting sick or injured. Not to mention winning those pickup basketball games.

And some of us are aware that our bodies can handle pretty much anything in moderation. Indeed, variety of diet is usually better than too much of anyone thing. Of course, I have a different idea of what a "health nut" is. To me, eating a reasonable, balanced diet is healthy, but doesn't make you a health nut. A health nut is someone who truly is nutty about it, never ever indulges in even the tiniest thing that might be construed as bad for them, like a piece of chocolate, and actually winds up eating overall a pretty unhealthy diet lacking in sufficient fats and proteins to sustain them. A low fat diet is fine, a NO fat diet is nutty.

But there is the other side of it that I don't see much point in living a lot longer if I can't enjoy myself while living.

loseyourname said:
Why "sinful" pleasures? I derive a good deal of pleasure from feeling great every day, having an abundance of energy, and never getting sick or injured. Not to mention winning those pickup basketball games.

"Sinful pleasures" = eating tasty but unhealthy food, partying, etc.

Some people, like myself, enjoy these pleasures even though they may mean a possible decrease in longevity.

Keep in mind that longevity isn't solely dependent on a healthy lifestyle. For example, you incur some degree of risk when you drive a car or ride a train. You could take things to an extreme and retire to an isolated mountainside with Tibetan monks. I'm sure they find pleasure in their lifestyle.

Last edited:
juvenal said:
"Sinful pleasures" = eating tasty but unhealthy food, partying, etc.

Some people, like myself, enjoy these pleasures even though they may mean a possible decrease in longevity.

Keep in mind that longevity isn't solely dependent on a healthy lifestyle. For example, you incur some degree of risk when you drive a car or ride a train. You could take things to an extreme and retire to an isolated mountainside with Tibetan monks. I'm sure they find pleasure in their lifestyle.

When did I say that I stayed healthy to live longer? I do it mostly for the immediate rewards. Like I said, I feel great every day, have plenty of energy, and never get sick or injured (I do cut myself a lot, though). I do look forward to being elderly and not having debilitating diseases, injuries, and hefty medical bills, but that is hardly my primary motivation. I wouldn't say that I avoid risks, either. In fact, I can be rather reckless at times and should have been killed many times when I was younger.

As to partying, I've never enjoyed it. I find parties boring. A bunch of people sit around, get wasted, and talk, usually in an attempt to get into bed together. I already have a girlfriend and can have sex any time I want and I prefer to actually do something if I'm going out, something that involves exciting physical activity, like mountain biking or white-water rafting. Heck, even going to a museum or seeing a good film is better; at least there is an element of intellectual stimulation.

loseyourname said:
When did I say that I stayed healthy to live longer? I do it mostly for the immediate rewards. Like I said, I feel great every day, have plenty of energy, and never get sick or injured (I do cut myself a lot, though). I do look forward to being elderly and not having debilitating diseases, injuries, and hefty medical bills, but that is hardly my primary motivation. I wouldn't say that I avoid risks, either. In fact, I can be rather reckless at times and should have been killed many times when I was younger.

Well - your original post asked why more scientifically-minded people do not live healthy lifestyles, because of the importance of living healthy. What is the importance if not to live a longer life? (Personal satisfaction is not equal to importance, since personal satisfaction varies from person to person). Please go back and read the first sentence of your original post.

loseyourname said:
I already have a girlfriend and can have sex any time I want

I'd like to see you say that with her around ...

She is around. She posts here and knows what he says. They're a young enough couple that I'm sure it's true.

Truly, you should do nothing but bicycle. Street bicycle.

Hello all,

I'm big into health and fitness but not obsessive about it. I've found knowing biochemistry is a big help. So too is the energy-in energy-out mantra: If I dont' work a lot or exercise, I won't eat a lot and vice versa. I love to eat and cook for that matter so that means I see to it that I stay busy one way or the other. It's a simple equation for me but I suspect it's not for a lot of people.

I believe if you eat a good diet, you don't have to take any suppliments or even vitamins or minerals. Just now I had black-eye peas with ham over rice, grapes, milk, corn on the cob, bread and butter. I have a gym at home and I try to exercise about an hour a day with classic rock tunes.

loseyourname said:
I take a multivitamin, herbal, amino acid, and neurotransmitter supplements.

Loseyourname, you can tell me "none of your business", but I have to ask, why do you take neurotransmitters? I admire your healthy life style and mine is similar but I'd never take neurotransmitters.

Salty

saltydog said:
Loseyourname, you can tell me "none of your business", but I have to ask, why do you take neurotransmitters? I admire your healthy life style and mine is similar but I'd never take neurotransmitters.

Salty

I actually don't take it intentionally, but http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10027,00.html is part of another supplement that I take.

Last edited by a moderator:
juvenal said:
Well - your original post asked why more scientifically-minded people do not live healthy lifestyles, because of the importance of living healthy. What is the importance if not to live a longer life? (Personal satisfaction is not equal to importance, since personal satisfaction varies from person to person). Please go back and read the first sentence of your original post.

The only question I asked in my post was what other members do to keep healthy. I never asked why anyone did not lead a healthy lifestyle. I suppose I may have implied that I found it odd, given that a person with a knowledge of biochemistry or medical science knows how nasty it can be not to, but it wasn't directed to anyone here. Frankly, I don't think that many of the PF members do have any extensive knowledge of medical science.

We scientist sacrifice our health for the goodness of science :wink:

More intelligent, wealthier people do tend to have better health.

Before I got a quite demanding job I used to run 4-5 times a week. For about an hour, then strength training. I watched everything I ate, I counted calories. I would have a small notebook I take with me where I write down everything I ate during breakfast, dinner and lunch and the breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins etc...I was very meticulous.

Now, I still I watched what I ate. My job still requires some physical activity so I primarily get my aerobic exercise walking and running.

What is a health nut?

A health nut is a term used to describe someone who is very dedicated to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. This may include following a strict diet, exercising regularly, and prioritizing health above other aspects of life.

What are some common characteristics of health nuts?

Some common characteristics of health nuts include being conscious about what they eat, being physically active, and being knowledgeable about nutrition and overall wellness.

Why do people become health nuts?

People may become health nuts for various reasons, such as wanting to improve their overall health, prevent chronic diseases, and increase their energy levels. Some may also become health nuts for aesthetic reasons, such as wanting to maintain a certain body weight or appearance.

Can being a health nut have any negative effects?

While prioritizing health is generally a positive thing, being overly strict and restrictive in one's diet and exercise routine can lead to negative effects such as nutrient deficiencies, disordered eating, and social isolation.

How can I become a health nut?

Becoming a health nut involves making conscious choices to prioritize your health and well-being. This may include educating yourself on nutrition and exercise, setting realistic goals, and finding a balance between healthy habits and indulgences. It's important to remember that everyone's journey to a healthy lifestyle is unique, and it's important to listen to your body and make choices that work for you.