Any other Scotch drinkers here?

PAllen
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Laphroaig is a profoundly smokey/peaty scotch. I would have a hard time calling it "mainstream" and a harder time calling it "enjoyable."
Note, I completely agree with smokey/petey description, and that it is off mainstream. Obviously, I disagree on the enjoyable part - I like it a lot. My father, who drank different scotches, also liked it a great deal when I introduced him for the first time. So not everyone shares FlexGunship's distaste. The objective take away is that it is very smokey and petey.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Note, I completely agree with smokey/petey description, and that it is off mainstream. Obviously, I disagree on the enjoyable part - I like it a lot. My father, who drank different scotches, also liked it a great deal when I introduced him for the first time. So not everyone shares FlexGunship's distaste. The objective take away is that it is very smokey and petey.
Diff'rnt strokes.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Also, how do you pronounce Laphroaig? I've heard "la-FROYG" and "LAP-ro-ag."

Also, how do you pronounce Laphroaig? I've heard "la-FROYG" and "LAP-ro-ag."
It's pronounced La phroaig. Normally, I drink The Macallan 64 Year Old in Lalique. However, when I can't get it, I'll settle for a Dalmore 64 Trinitas or even a Dalmore 62. I wash it down with a Rolling Rock.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Normally, I drink The Macallan 64 Year Old in Lalique.
Edited to hide gullibility.

..Mmm... is that lead? I love a good lead shot.
Not a shot of Scotch?

Actually it's supposed to look like lead shot, to pun up the contest here a bit. Maybe I should have added rocks too.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Laphroaig and Lagavulin are Islay single malt whiskies. They tend to have that peaty (smoky) taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky

Balvenie is a Speyside whisky, as are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and many others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyside_single_malts

Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, . . . are Highland single malt whiskies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Single_Malts

The Macallan's website indicates it is a Speyside whisky, but elsewhere, I've seen reference to Macallan Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. But Easter Elchies, Moray seems to be Speyside.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This time of year, any brown liquid will do- I prefer Aberlour (the a'bunadh), but more often than not I've got a mug of Wild Turkey.