Any other Scotch drinkers here?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: I'm a Glenmorangie fan at the moment, but as the winter draws in I may be drawn to spot of Lagavulin or some such.I'm a Glenmorangie fan at the moment, but as the winter draws in I may be drawn to spot of Lagavulin or some such.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
There are beer threads, and even tequila threads, so I thought I'd start one involving my favorite liquor of choice: Scotch!

Any other Scotch drinkers here? I have a few favorites, a few standbys, and plenty of enjoyable one-timers.

I always keep a bottle of Glenlivet 12yr or Dewar's 12yr in my cabinet (usually alternate):
a-289.jpg
a-353.jpg

If I'm in a mixing mood (rare, but I do enjoy ginger ale) I'll keep a bottle of Johnny Walker Red or Black around for a few weeks (these are blended Scotches):
a-209.jpg
a-206.jpg

Some fantastic one-timers were Dalwhinnie 15yr and Balvenie 12yr; I'd buy either of them again, but they're rarely on sale:
a-285.jpg
a-278.jpg

For my birthday this past June, my friend got me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label with my name engraved on the bottle. I haven't opened it yet (this is NOT a picture of my bottle; I'm not giving out my full name on the web-o-tubes):
BF1784E_Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label.jpg

Image sources:
https://www.buyflower.com.sg/add_on_whisky/110/add_on_johnnie_walker_blue_label__75cl_/1784/
http://www.kandwliquor.com/xcart/home.php?cat=37&page=1
http://www.kandwliquor.com/xcart/home.php?cat=41&page=4
http://www.kandwliquor.com/xcart/home.php?cat=41&page=5
http://www.kandwliquor.com/xcart/product.php?productid=550
http://www.kandwliquor.com/xcart/product.php?productid=768

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yum. I'm a Glenmorangie fan at the moment, but as the winter draws in I may be drawn to spot of Lagavulin or some such. Mmmm! I find I can only drink about 10ml before falling asleep so it lasts pretty well.

I love the bottle that the Blue Label comes in, and the fact that it is corked. The taste cannot be beat, either! I also like Haig The Pinch when I can find it. But my normal scotch is JW Black, either neat or with a splash of soda and a twist.

brewnog said:
I'm a Glenmorangie fan at the moment, but as the winter draws in I may be drawn to spot of Lagavulin or some such.

Never got into Glenmorangie, but it seems popular. Lagavulin? Never even heard of it. Maybe it's not carried in my part of the world. Macallan is another that comes up often. Usually a friend buys it though, I never seem to pick it up myself. Funny how we're sometimes drawn to a certain bottle.

My friend got me a bag of whiskey stones, too, but I don't like to use them much. I enjoy the way that the flavor of good scotch opens up as the ice melts into the glass. I always have it with two ice cubes and the glass lasts until after both have melted. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle of the drink... it comes... and then it goes... and I always want another glass.

Decades ago, a "new" scotch appeared in local liquor stores. It was Ballantine blended scotch, and it was cheaper than decent whiskey. Once its popularity took off, it only took a few years for the distributor to jack the price up until Ballantine was priced right there with Johnny Walker, Dewar's blends, etc. Much more affordable than the smaller-production single-malts, but still a LOT more than when it was cracking this market.

Evo said:
For years I drank nothing but unblended scotch, with the exception of gin and tonic during the summer while sailing.

You might like this article.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-28/magazine/tm-61589_1_single-malt-scotch

Your poor liver! I love scotch,don't get me wrong, but I occasionally have a glass of water or some milk with dinner.

That's an interesting article; I find that my enjoyment of any given scotch is weirdly diminished whenever I heard positive booze-review fluff-words. The same is true of any of my high-end audio stuff.

For me, it depends upon my mood. My standbys include Aberfeldy 21 year, Lagavulin (especially when I want something smoky/peaty), JW Blue (green and gold are also OK, though of the JW nothing beats blue), and a Jameson 15 year private reserve a friend picked up while visting the distillery (the only place you can get this one).

Another good guide. It's seems that 15 year old Glenmorangie is a good buy. IIRC, many in the last scotch thread said that they enjoyed this, for the price.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/04/14/cx_np_0414feat.html

daveb said:
For me, it depends upon my mood. My standbys include Aberfeldy 21 year, Lagavulin
I've not tried that, but from the first review I posted, it sounds good.

Several years ago when I was traveling in Canada I found this in my hotel's liquor store, and of course I had to buy a bottle:

http://www.eumad.com/graph/NEU-BELLS-SCOTCH-1.gif

It must not be available in the US except maybe as a specialty import, because I've never seen it here.

One of the nicer scotch whiskies I have tried:

Macallan Fine Oak
the-macallan-18-year.jpg

brewnog said:
Yum. I'm a Glenmorangie fan at the moment, but as the winter draws in I may be drawn to spot of Lagavulin or some such. Mmmm! I find I can only drink about 10ml before falling asleep so it lasts pretty well.
I like Glenmorangie, as well as Lagavulin.

GregJ said:
One of the nicer scotch whiskies I have tried:

Macallan Fine Oak
the-macallan-18-year.jpg
I like Macallan as well. I think the 18 and 25 yr olds are good.

I've had Dalwhinnie and Laphroaig.

I like JW Black if there are not single malts available. I had a Suntori Black on a flight back from Japan one time. I told the stewardess that she had probably given me $100 of scotch based on the amount. It's rather expensive in Japan.

I drink it straight.

I do not drink Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. :yuck:

The Welsh do an amazing single malt called Penderyn. I was very surprised by it. Probably not for those that like the highland peaty malts but well worth a try.

Astronuc said:
I've had Dalwhinnie and Laphroaig.

Love Dalwhinnie, couldn't find a way to enjoy Laphroaig.

Astronuc said:
I do not drink Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. :yuck:

Snob! Glenlivet is the quintessential starting point for scotch! "Never had scotch? Have a Glenlivet!"

As mentioned before I always have a bottle of Dewar's or Glenlivet 12yr around (mostly for price; they're always on sale), but the Glenlivet 15yr French Oak Reserve is a good scotch by any measure.
glenliv15__11425_zoom007148_m.jpg

(Source: http://www.priceme.co.nz/The-Glenlivet-15yr-old-French-Oak-Res-700ml-40/p-884285737.aspx)

FlexGunship said:
There are beer threads, and even tequila threads, so I thought I'd start one involving my favorite liquor of choice: Scotch!

I didn't detect a question in your OP, so I'm supposing that you just want to talk about Scotch whiskey.

Ok, I like it. But it's not my favorite alcoholic beverage.

I think that it's an acquired taste. But once acquired ... it's indeed tasty!

Why isn't it my favorite? I have no idea. Maybe I'm just one of those people who revere variety above all else. Maybe my taste buds are out of kilter. I have no way of knowing.

Today I will be having wine with lunch, and then perhaps several White Russians before and after dinner.

Tomorrow I think we'll do margaritas.

Is this wussy? Perhaps so. But I'm far too old to worry over such considerations.

Scotch, sipped, savored reverently, does produce a very nice, and as far as I can tell, controllable buzz in me. But then so does Publix Cola -- in a less reverential, more controllable sense.

Anyway, I think it's wonderful, and yet curious, that you have, at such a young age, committed yourself to the responsible imbibing of a particular alcoholic beverage.

At least it's not gin. Nasty stuff, albeit tasty. I'm reminded of the violent encounters during gin drinking rituals with an old friend of mine, a full-blooded Souix native American whose last name was Bear (as in the big furry animal). Bear could hold his liquor. It was just that while holding it he became more and more fond of the idea of killing white people.

So, yeah, scotch seems like a good enough choice. Mainly I'm a beer guy though. I mean you can swill beer. Can you really swill scotch?

FlexGunship said:

ThomasT said:
I didn't detect a question in your OP, so I'm supposing that you just want to talk about Scotch whiskey.

I bolded it for you.

ThomasT said:
Anyway, I think it's wonderful, and yet curious, that you have, at such a young age, committed yourself to the responsible imbibing of a particular alcoholic beverage.

There's a funny story!

I was my friend's best man at his wedding. Prior to the wedding, a relative sent him a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold Label as a congratulations for their engagement. My friend said to me: "I don't drink scotch, do you want this?" And I told him that I didn't drink scotch either and proposed a solution: we would drink the worst scotch possible every night for weeks until we learned to love it.

So we drank bottom shelf, plastic bottle, yuck-water until we actually developed a taste for it. The end result is that we were HOOKED on good scotch after tasting the first drop of Gold Label.

FlexGunship said:
I bolded it for you.
Well, EXCUSE me!

Ok, I missed that.

FlexGunship said:
There's a funny story!

I was my friend's best man at his wedding. Prior to the wedding, a relative sent him a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold Label as a congratulations for their engagement. My friend said to me: "I don't drink scotch, do you want this?" And I told him that I didn't drink scotch either and proposed a solution: we would drink the worst scotch possible every night for weeks until we learned to love it.

So we drank bottom shelf, plastic bottle, yuck-water until we actually developed a taste for it. The end result is that we were HOOKED on good scotch after tasting the first drop of Gold Label.
Interesting. This outlines for me a possible avenue into scotchville, which I have no intention of being a resident of. (swills another beer)

I'm only an occasional scotch drinker. If I have it, neat is the only way. My current favorite is the odd ball Laphroaig.

brewnog said:

I prefer rum.

- Glenn Davis Doctor G

PAllen said:
My current favorite is the odd ball Laphroaig.

Oddball? That's a polite way to say it! Not a fan of Laphroaig; reminds me of siphoning gasoline.

FlexGunship said:
Oddball? That's a polite way to say it! Not a fan of Laphroaig; reminds me of siphoning gasoline.
Can you translate this for the ignorant masses? Well, me, anyway.

ThomasT said:
Can you translate this for the ignorant masses? Well, me, anyway.

Oddball? C'est une façon polie de le dire! Pas un fan de Laphroaig, me rappelle de siphonner l'essence.

FlexGunship said:
Oddball? C'est une façon polie de le dire! Pas un fan de Laphroaig, me rappelle de siphonner l'essence.
Thanks Flex. Now I have to spend who knows how long translating this (I'm supposing it's French) into English.

Anybody in for a good shot?

2z5r4sm.jpg

ThomasT said:
Thanks Flex. Now I have to spend who knows how long translating this (I'm supposing it's French) into English.

Laphroaig is a profoundly smokey/peaty scotch. I would have a hard time calling it "mainstream" and a harder time calling it "enjoyable."

Andre said:
Anybody in for a good shot?

Mmm... is that lead? I love a good lead shot.

FlexGunship said:
Laphroaig is a profoundly smokey/peaty scotch. I would have a hard time calling it "mainstream" and a harder time calling it "enjoyable."

Note, I completely agree with smokey/petey description, and that it is off mainstream. Obviously, I disagree on the enjoyable part - I like it a lot. My father, who drank different scotches, also liked it a great deal when I introduced him for the first time. So not everyone shares FlexGunship's distaste. The objective take away is that it is very smokey and petey.

PAllen said:
Note, I completely agree with smokey/petey description, and that it is off mainstream. Obviously, I disagree on the enjoyable part - I like it a lot. My father, who drank different scotches, also liked it a great deal when I introduced him for the first time. So not everyone shares FlexGunship's distaste. The objective take away is that it is very smokey and petey.

Diff'rnt strokes.

PAllen said:

Also, how do you pronounce Laphroaig? I've heard "la-FROYG" and "LAP-ro-ag."

FlexGunship said:
Also, how do you pronounce Laphroaig? I've heard "la-FROYG" and "LAP-ro-ag."
It's pronounced La phroaig. Normally, I drink The Macallan 64 Year Old in Lalique. However, when I can't get it, I'll settle for a Dalmore 64 Trinitas or even a Dalmore 62. I wash it down with a Rolling Rock.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Normally, I drink The Macallan 64 Year Old in Lalique.

Edited to hide gullibility.

FlexGunship said:
..Mmm... is that lead? I love a good lead shot.

Not a shot of Scotch?

Actually it's supposed to look like lead shot, to pun up the contest here a bit. Maybe I should have added rocks too.

Laphroaig and Lagavulin are Islay single malt whiskies. They tend to have that peaty (smoky) taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky

Balvenie is a Speyside whisky, as are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and many others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyside_single_malts

Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, . . . are Highland single malt whiskies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Single_Malts

The Macallan's website indicates it is a Speyside whisky, but elsewhere, I've seen reference to Macallan Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. But Easter Elchies, Moray seems to be Speyside.

This time of year, any brown liquid will do- I prefer Aberlour (the a'bunadh), but more often than not I've got a mug of Wild Turkey.

1. What is Scotch?

Scotch is a type of whisky that is made in Scotland. It is typically made from malted barley and aged in oak barrels for at least three years.

2. What makes Scotch different from other types of whisky?

Scotch is made in Scotland and must follow strict regulations set by the Scotch Whisky Association. It is also typically made from malted barley and has a distinct smoky flavor due to the use of peat during the malting process.

3. What are the different types of Scotch?

There are five main types of Scotch: single malt, blended malt, single grain, blended grain, and blended Scotch. Single malt Scotch is made from 100% malted barley from a single distillery, while blended Scotch is a mix of malt and grain whiskies from different distilleries.

4. How should Scotch be enjoyed?

Scotch can be enjoyed neat (without any ice or mixers), on the rocks (with ice), or with a splash of water to help open up the flavors. It is also commonly used in cocktails.

5. What is the best way to store Scotch?

Scotch should be stored in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. It should also be kept upright to prevent the cork from drying out and to avoid any potential leakage.

Back