Are You A Republican? And If So, Why?

• News
  • Thread starter flippy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the increasing liberalism of the Democratic party and the wealth and political affiliations of the participants. The participants also discuss the shifting ideologies of the two major political parties and the impact of scandals on politicians.
flippy
Ah yes, the democrats are becoming more liberal. so much so that now anyone that says all Republicans are wealthy upper class whites are making an inaccurate statement. Well, are u a Republican? Why? I bet its not because ur a money hungry business man. Let's show them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a Republican. I'm a reasonably well off upper-middle class engineer (single). I doubt I'll ever be in the top 1% of incomes, but I expect to be in the top 5% (currently, that's $150K for households) by age 35 (I'm 28) if I'm married and my wife works.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I'm a Republican. I'm a reasonably well off upper-middle class engineer (single). I doubt I'll ever be in the top 1% of incomes, but I expect to be in the top 5% (currently, that's $150K for households) by age 35 (I'm 28) if I'm married and my wife works.
You don't qualify for the One Percent Club, there all democrats.

Robert Zaleski said:
You don't qualify for the One Percent Club, there all democrats.

Like rupert murdoch and ken lay?

Dan, are you voting for Ralph Nader?

Dissident Dan said:
Like rupert murdoch and ken lay?

No, like Ted Turner,George Soros, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, Bing, Kaplan, Saban...Oh, yeah, Bernard Schwartz..of China Gate popularity..Armstrong of Comcast etc. etc. etc.

oh..and Heinz-kerry? yes? maybe?

JohnDubYa said:
Dan, are you voting for Ralph Nader?
No, Dan doesn't care for that decaffeinated commie he prefers the rich bold taste that only a 'Papa Joe' commie can give him.

kat said:
No, like Ted Turner,George Soros, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, Bing, Kaplan, Saban...Oh, yeah, Bernard Schwartz..of China Gate popularity..Armstrong of Comcast etc. etc. etc.
You forgot Clinton. he "outed" himself last night!

Oh yes, I forgot..his book made him a small fortune.

What is the top 1% now? 400k +, or less? more?

My household is in the top 1%, but that has nothing to do with me. They're all democrats.

loseyourname said:
My household is in the top 1%, but that has nothing to do with me. They're all democrats.

That's odd. You'd think that through self-interest, they'd be Republicans. I know I would if I had a ton of money. But if I didn't, I'd be a democrat.

Of course, if I resided in Quebec, I'd be Bloc Quebecois!.

flippy said:
Ah yes, the democrats are becoming more liberal. so much so that now anyone that says all Republicans are wealthy upper class whites are making an inaccurate statement. Well, are u a Republican? Why? I bet its not because ur a money hungry business man. Let's show them.

Do you really think Democrats have become more liberal? Compared to when? My perception is that they've been becoming more conservative. Actually, they are mostly just becoming more unified in their positions on the issues, not that they've completely succeeded in that yet. But that used to be the Democratic party's downfall, too many different people throwing their hat into the ring and all of them with completely different positions from one another...it divided up the non-Republican vote too much to have much of a chance of winning unless they really came up with a super-star to outshine all the other Democrats. Maybe it's because they are no longer representing just the poor people, they have their own wealth to worry about now, so Robin Hood policies just don't get the vote (take from the rich and give to the poor).

Does a hobbyhorse have a hickory dick? You bet I’m a Republican. I’m retired now so I’ll never hit that 150K mark, but I’ve come close. I’m of the old school, so my wife does only volunteer work, mostly raising scholarship funds.

Originally Posted by flippy
Ah yes, the democrats are becoming more liberal…

No, democrats are not becoming more liberal. The Democratic Party, however, has slid off the left edge of the political chasm.

Moonbear said:
Do you really think Democrats have become more liberal? Compared to when? My perception is that they've been becoming more conservative. Actually, they are mostly just becoming more unified in their positions on the issues, not that they've completely succeeded in that yet. But that used to be the Democratic party's downfall, too many different people throwing their hat into the ring and all of them with completely different positions from one another...it divided up the non-Republican vote too much to have much of a chance of winning unless they really came up with a super-star to outshine all the other Democrats. Maybe it's because they are no longer representing just the poor people, they have their own wealth to worry about now, so Robin Hood policies just don't get the vote (take from the rich and give to the poor).
The Democratic Party was taken over by that party's left in the late 1960's/early 1970's. The Republican Party moved into the void that was previously occupied by the Democrats.

Robert Zaleski: The Democratic Party was taken over by that party's left in the late 1960's/early 1970's. The Republican Party moved into the void that was previously occupied by the Democrats.

Yes indeed, President Nixon moved the Republican Party leftward much as President Clinton tried to move the Democratic Party to the right. Ignoring the scandal, liberals might find much to admire in Nixon.

GENIERE said:
No, democrats are not becoming more liberal. The Democratic Party, however, has slid off the left edge of the political chasm.
The same (opposite) can be said about the Republican party. Case in point, the torpedoing of Johhn McCain.
Ignoring the scandal, liberals might find much to admire in Nixon.
Scandals? What do liberals care about scandals? :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
The same (opposite) can be said about the Republican Party. Case in point, the torpedoing of Johhn McCain. Scandals? What do liberals care about scandals? :biggrin:

I'm not a real big fan of John McCain even though his views probably reflect mine more so than those of President Bush. I fault him for the campaign finance act that I believe to be unconstitutional and I find him somewhat self-serving. I like VP Cheney very much but President Bush would be a sure winner with JM on the ticket. I could easily vote for him in 2008.

Rich Demos do take the time to go back to the kitchen and talk to the help --- not for long, but they muster the effort to do it with real "I feel your pain" tone in their voices. After which, they remain rich and the help remains in their positions as "the help." And after their media reported rhetoric, after their cries of unfairness -- the rich Demos live the life of 'the rich' with homes on both coasts - and 'the help' remains 'the help' ---- except for that once-in-a-while condescending tone, I'd say it's all hypocrisy -

Well-said Tigers2B1. Liberals survive; indeed thrive, by maintaining and creating a biased citizenship.

I have never been registered as a Republican, but I certainly have voted for Republican candidates in my time. Painting with a broad brush, I will say that I tend to vote against the Democrat candidates who are big on wealth redistribution, and I tend to vote against the Republican candidates who are big on mixing religion and government.

1. What is the definition of a Republican?

A Republican is a member or supporter of the Republican Party, a major political party in the United States that generally espouses conservative and right-leaning policies.

2. What are some key beliefs and values of Republicans?

Republicans generally support smaller government, lower taxes, and a strong national defense. They also tend to have conservative views on social issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage.

3. Can someone be a Republican if they don't agree with all of the party's beliefs?

Yes, individuals can identify as Republicans even if they do not agree with all of the party's beliefs and policies. Many people may align with certain Republican values but not others.

4. How is the Republican Party different from the Democratic Party?

The Republican Party tends to be more conservative and promotes limited government involvement, lower taxes, and traditional social values. The Democratic Party tends to be more liberal and supports a larger role for government, higher taxes, and progressive social policies.

5. Are there any prominent scientists who identify as Republicans?

Yes, there are many scientists who identify as Republicans. Some notable examples include Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, and Dr. Roger Kornberg, a Nobel Prize-winning chemist.