Any suggestion for general physics books for a beginner?

In summary: IT student is trying to decide whether to continue with physics after reading a book by Stephen Hawking. He finds the subject interesting but finds it difficult to understand. He recommends Six Easy Pieces and Six Not So Easy Pieces, Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov, It's About Time by N. David Mermin, and Gravity and Thirty Years that Shook Physics by George Gamowi. He also recommends head first physics if someone wants to learn mechanics quickly.
johira
I'm an IT student. I hated physics in high school and always wanted to skip physics classes,but recently after reading Stephen Hawking's book "the grand design" i think I'm interested in physics. i found this interest shocking but i can't help it. i want to read more and more. when i start reading "the grand design" i was really eager to understand the concepts cause it was the first physics book that i was reading, although i tried i just understood some parts,but i kept reading and finished it.
Now i want to make my knowledge in physics strong so if i read another book i could understand it well.
what are some general physics books that you can suggest to me in order to gain knowledge about the basic of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
johira said:
what are some general physics books that you can suggest to me in order to gain knowledge about the basic of physics?

Six Easy Pieces and Six Not So Easy Pieces, both by Richard Feynman.

Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov
Space, Time and Things by B. K. Ridley
It's About Time by N. David Mermin
Gravity and Thirty Years that Shook Physics by George Gamow

i second understanding physics by isaac asimov and anything by george gamov. gravity was great. these books aren't standard books when compared to textbooks, but they can't be beat for getting the ideas of physics across, as well as historical developments.

also, head first physics would be a good book to learn basic mechanics. don't be put off by the look of this book, as the head first series is extremely good. discovering relativity for yourself by sam lilley would be great to work through over a extended time period. it requires very little math background as it was developed through teaching adult and second career students relativity. when i mean very little math i mean all you need to know is high school math (that doesn't include calculus).

i personally must de-recommend hawking's books, as well as any of the other popular physics books like brian greene's. in my opinion i would stay away from them as they contain little useful information if you really want to learn physics, but this is just my preference.

First of all, I want to congratulate you on your newfound interest in physics! It's always exciting to see someone discover a passion for a subject they previously disliked. I can assure you that physics is a fascinating and essential field of study.

As for general physics books for beginners, there are many great options out there. One popular and highly recommended book is "Concepts of Physics" by Dr. H.C. Verma. It covers all the basic concepts of physics in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. Another great book is "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. It is a comprehensive introductory textbook that covers all the fundamental principles of physics.

If you are looking for a more conceptual and philosophical approach, I would suggest "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman. It covers the six most important concepts in physics and is written in a very engaging and accessible style.

Additionally, I would recommend checking out online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare for free lectures and tutorials on various topics in physics.

Remember, the key to understanding physics is practice and perseverance. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand everything right away. Keep reading, asking questions, and seeking out resources, and you will surely gain a strong understanding of the subject. Best of luck on your physics journey!

1. What are some good general physics books for beginners?

Some popular general physics books for beginners include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any physics books specifically for non-science majors?

Yes, there are many general physics books designed for non-science majors, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Douglas C. Giancoli and "Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines" by Richard A. Muller.

3. Are there any physics books with interactive elements or exercises for beginners?

Yes, there are several physics books that include interactive elements or exercises for beginners, such as "Thinking Physics: Understandable Practical Reality" by Lewis Carroll Epstein and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman.

4. Are there any physics books that focus on a specific aspect of physics?

Yes, there are many physics books that focus on specific aspects of physics, such as "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek, and "Classical Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

5. Are there any physics books that are suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are several physics books that are suitable for self-study, such as "Physics Essentials for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "Physics Demystified" by Stan Gibilisco, and "Schaum's Outline of College Physics" by Frederick J. Bueche and Eugene Hecht.