Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any tips on being more hardware savvy?

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    I could have posted this in design/systems engineering but thought I'd reach more user's this way.

How could I get better with hardware? Should I be building kits, taking existing devices apart, living on www.sparkfun.com ? I wish I could be at the stage that I can take any idea and be able to design it/ or know how to design it by the end of my degree.

any advice?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes, kits are a good way to start. Then, buy a microcontroller (uC) development board, like for a PIC or other entry-level uC, and start building IO boards for it that do fun things for projects, like a motor controller board, or a display board, etc. That way you'll get experience in building projects on your own, as well as uC and programming experience.
  4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Application notes from data sheets of integrated circuits. Op-amps are good place to start for some analog circuits.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?