1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any way to evaluate such an integral

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is there any way to evaluate such an integral; [tex]\int e^{2x}x^{-1}dx[/tex]

Any attempts will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2
    Re: Integration

[tex]\int e^{2x}x^{-1}dx = \int e^{2x}dln(x)[/tex]

and then partial integration

that's my first guess...

marlon

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe that this integral is amenable to the application of integration by parts. I tried a couple of the obvious substitutions for integration by parts, but didn't get anything that was simpler.

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

I guess if we proceed it, we will get back into the starting integral and can obtain no solution.

6. Nov 11, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a special function called the 'exponential integral' that's closely related to your integral. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral That's a pretty good sign there is no simple way to reduce that to elementary functions.

7. Nov 12, 2008 #6

So this integral requires a complex solution? What does that mean in terms of the geometric interpretation of integrals?

8. Nov 12, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not complex, Ei is real.
    What geometric interpretation (other than the usual of integral as area under a curve) would you expect?

9. Nov 12, 2008 #8

None, now that you said Ei is real. The equation on the wiki page threw me off where it has Ei is related to E1 as follows and then it has some odd symbol I haven't seen and an i. What does the funny + looking symbol mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?