Anybody remember Liederkranz cheese?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date

jtbell

Mentor
When I was a grad student at Michigan 30-35 years ago, one of my guilty food pleasures was Liederkranz cheese, an American-made relative of German Limburger cheese: crusty on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside and smelly! Then I left grad school, couldn't find it any more, and figured people just don't go for that stuff down here in the South.

Just now I've found out from my random web-wanderings that production of Liederkranz actually shut down completely in 1985 at the factory that made it in Ohio, but was recently revived by a company in Wisconsin:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/89242162.html [Broken]

Just what I need, an excuse to make a trip to Wisconsin! :smile:

A long time ago, I remember seeing a cartoon showing a mouse-like alien stepping off a UFO, with a request: "Take me to your Liederkranz!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember my dad eating sardines and smelly cheese when I was a smallfry. It kept us out of the kitchen until we realized the taste was great. Nowadays, I usually eat plain old patriotic american cheese.

turbo

Gold Member
Good to know. Even as a little kid, I was always a fan of smelly cheese.

I vaguely remember the name, but I don't think I ever had any. My father used to eat Limburger cheese and I liked it too. Just last month I bought some for the first time since I was a child. I still like it.