Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ? Please suggest resources

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
savannas
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ?? Please suggest resources !

Hi everyone,
Am a grad student doing experimental research in an interdisciplinary lab of nanoscience - I am using the concept of hydrogen bonding in some of my experiments. I am planning to present my results to a physics oral exam committe - I am anticipating questions on the 'physics' or atleast the 'theory/model' of hydrogen bonding. I have googled and searched some chemistry textbooks and discussed with my labmates and colleagues. Nobody is aware of the details. I would appreciate if anyone here could recall any quantum/electrodynamics/ any physics concept that might be useful in explaining Hydrogen bonding..
I would also appreciate if anyone could suggest a quantum mechanics book that explains
1. covalent bonding ( u know, sp,sp2,sp3 hybridization)
2. Van der waals forces
in simple way

Thanks a lot
savi
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Well I don't think I can explain it past the polar bonding. i assume you want a lot more info than that however :rolleyes:
 


Van der vaal forces are the simplest. Take N2 the electron density around the N2 molecule is not uniform leading to transitory dipoles forming with the molecule. These dipoles take the conventional form of a tiny positive and negative charge on the atom/molecule. This an example of an Van der Vaals force also know as the London dispersion force.

Another example of Van der Vaals forces is when a non polar atom or molecule approaches a permanent dipole. an induced charge results and therefore an attraction.

I hope this helps.
 


Thanks nooma, I am satisfied, there is atleast no theory more complicated than that which is too popular ! :approve:
And, bm0p700f, thanks for your suggestion, I will arm myself with some dipole physics from E&M

Thanks anyways
Savi