Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ? Please suggest resources !

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ?? Please suggest resources !

Hi everyone,
    Am a grad student doing experimental research in an interdisciplinary lab of nanoscience - I am using the concept of hydrogen bonding in some of my experiments. I am planning to present my results to a physics oral exam committe - I am anticipating questions on the 'physics' or atleast the 'theory/model' of hydrogen bonding. I have googled and searched some chemistry textbooks and discussed with my labmates and colleagues. Nobody is aware of the details. I would appreciate if anyone here could recall any quantum/electrodynamics/ any physics concept that might be useful in explaining Hydrogen bonding..
    I would also appreciate if any one could suggest a quantum mechanics book that explains
    1. covalent bonding ( u know, sp,sp2,sp3 hybridization)
    2. Van der waals forces
    in simple way

Thanks a lot
    savi

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ?? Please suggest resources !

Well I don't think I can explain it past the polar bonding. i assume you want a lot more info than that however :uhh:

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    Re: Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ?? Please suggest resources !

Van der vaal forces are the simplest. Take N2 the electron density around the N2 molecule is not uniform leading to transitory dipoles forming with the molecule. These dipoles take the conventional form of a tiny positive and negative charge on the atom/molecule. This an example of an Van der Vaals force also know as the London dispersion force.

Another example of Van der Vaals forces is when a non polar atom or molecule approaches a permanent dipole. an induced charge results and therefore an attraction.

I hope this helps.

5. Aug 16, 2009 #4

Thanks nooma, I am satisfied, there is atleast no theory more complicated than that which is too popular ! :approve:
    And, bm0p700f, thanks for your suggestion, I will arm myself with some dipole physics from E&M

Thanks anyways
    Savi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook