Background study of molecular/atomic bonds needs clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of chemical bonds between elements, including covalent, ionic, and polar-covalent bonds. The type of bond formed depends on the electronegativities of the atoms involved. The conversation also touches on intermolecular forces and their role in determining the structure of matter. The final question asks about the forces depicted in a graph, with a mention of the Pauli exclusion principle. Overall, the main topic of discussion is the nature of chemical bonds and intermolecular forces.
MrB3nn
Hello,
This is not a 'homework problem' but I think it fitted more correctly in this thread than other more advanced ones.
Basically, I am a first year undergraduate who did not study Chemistry at A-level. I am quite a serious student and I am trying to increase my background understanding of a few aspects of inter-atomic and molecular bonds. I have tried to accumulate a kind of broad understanding of the goings on on a molecular within matter. I find textbooks either don't answer the questions I have or they are far too advanced to even comprehend at my level. I really need someone to read my idea of what is happening then to tell me if it's correct or not. I also have some questions and would appreciate it if anyone could answer them.

So far, as I understand it:

There are different types of processes responsible for the forming of chemical bonds between elements.
Some of the most important are: Covalent, Ionic and Polar-Covalent.

I understand the type of bond formed between two atoms depends a lot on the electronegativities of the two atoms. Quantitively, if the difference in electronegativity on the Pauling scale is >2.0 we have a largely ionic bond. Between 0.9 and 2.0 we have polar-covalent and less than 0.9 is covalent.

I understand ionic bonds are non-saturated and can therefore exist between more than one pair of atoms, whereas covalent are saturated.

My first question is, if atoms are initially largely neutral (except for charge distribution fluctuations), why do covalent bonds form? I have heard this "because one atom wants to lose its valence electron and another wants to gain one" but this cannot satisfy me. Since the atoms are both initially neutral I imagine it has more to do with energy or quantum mechanics but I'm not sure. I am quite happy to be told the theory is above my level as long as I have some sort of incling as to what's involved.

I also understand that there are various inter-molecular forces at play in matter. Most of these are electric in nature i.e. Hydrogen bonds, Van Der Waals forces. I have a brief understanding of what each of these involves at a basic level but my knowledge lacks a link to a real sample of matter.

In a real piece of matter i.e. a solid, what is holding the molecules in a lattice, dispersion forces? Dipole-dipole forces, depending on the type of molecules? I don't understand which actual physical force is responsible.
Am I right in thinking in a liquid, dispersion forces play more of a role in determining the structure?

I have one last question, in a graph like this one, which forces is this taking into account? Do these diagrams take into account these Van der Waals forces? I understand the repulsion at short separation is largely due to the Pauli exclusion principle.
naclpot.gif

Thanks for your time and I hope you can shed some light on this subject for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok well first question
simple anser they are more stable if they have a complete outer shell of electrons and atoms always want to be in there most stable form.

2.It depend what the solid is. Metalic bonding holds togther soild metals. Basically dipole-dipole, hydrogen bonding and dispersion(vander wals forces) only apply to covalently bonded substances. Ionic bonding holds togther ionoc substances.

3. Am unsure about the last oart only in first year of A-levels. But what i ahve told you should all be right and sorry about the spelling.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and seeking clarification on molecular and atomic bonds. It is great to see that you are taking the initiative to expand your understanding of these concepts.

To answer your first question, covalent bonds form because atoms are always seeking to achieve a stable electron configuration. In order to do so, they will share, gain, or lose electrons to fill their outermost energy level. This is not necessarily because one atom wants to lose an electron and the other wants to gain one, but rather because by sharing electrons, both atoms can achieve a more stable configuration. This is governed by energy and quantum mechanics, as you suspected. The specific energy levels and orbitals of the atoms involved play a role in determining the type of bond that will form.

In terms of intermolecular forces, you are correct in your understanding that these are electric in nature. In a solid, the molecules are held together by a combination of forces, including dispersion forces, dipole-dipole forces, and hydrogen bonds. The specific forces at play will depend on the type of molecules present in the solid. In a liquid, the intermolecular forces are weaker and more easily overcome, allowing the molecules to move more freely.

The graph you mentioned is likely taking into account the van der Waals forces, as these are important in determining the strength of intermolecular interactions. The repulsion at short separations is indeed due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can occupy the same energy level.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Keep up the curiosity and enthusiasm for learning!

1. What is the purpose of studying molecular and atomic bonds?

The study of molecular and atomic bonds helps us understand how atoms interact with each other to form molecules and how these bonds affect the properties and behavior of substances. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

2. How do molecular and atomic bonds form?

Molecular bonds form when atoms share or transfer electrons with each other, leading to the formation of chemical bonds. Atomic bonds, on the other hand, are formed through the attraction between the positively charged nucleus of one atom and the negatively charged electrons of another atom.

3. What are the different types of molecular and atomic bonds?

There are primarily three types of molecular bonds: covalent, ionic, and metallic. Covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms, ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons, and metallic bonds involve the delocalization of electrons among a sea of metal atoms. Atomic bonds can be categorized as either covalent or metallic.

4. How do molecular and atomic bonds affect the properties of substances?

The type and strength of molecular and atomic bonds greatly influence the physical and chemical properties of substances. For example, substances with strong covalent bonds tend to have high melting and boiling points, while those with weak bonds may have lower melting and boiling points. Atomic bonds also affect properties such as electrical and thermal conductivity.

5. Why is clarification needed in the study of molecular and atomic bonds?

The study of molecular and atomic bonds is a complex and constantly evolving field, and there are often new discoveries and theories that need to be further investigated and clarified. Additionally, the behavior of bonds can vary under different conditions, so further study is needed to fully understand their role in different substances and environments.