Anyone care to explain the TA's note?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the formula used to calculate angular frequency, \omega_{ij} = \frac{E_j - E_i}{\hbar}, is different from the formula used to calculate regular frequency, \omega = 2\pi f. This is because \hbar is in the denominator in the formula for angular frequency. It is important to clarify the difference between the two with a TA if there is any confusion.
Shackleford
Omega here is frequency.

I used lambda = c/f. Why is it (2*pi*c)/omega and not c/f or c/omega?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-10-04203213.jpg?t=1286245112

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-10-04203118.jpg?t=1286245065

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the formula you used was derived as

[tex] \omega_{ij} = \frac{E_j - E_i}{\hbar}, [/tex]

which is an angular frequency as can be seen from the presence of [tex]\hbar[/tex] rather than [tex]h[/tex].

fzero said:
It looks like the formula you used was derived as

[tex] \omega_{ij} = \frac{E_j - E_i}{\hbar}, [/tex]

which is an angular frequency as can be seen from the presence of [tex]\hbar[/tex] rather than [tex]h[/tex].

Yeah. But h-bar is already in the denominator in the formula I used to calculate [tex]omega_{ij}[/tex].

The wavelength is still [tex]2\pi c/\omega[/tex].

Why not ask your TA for clarification?

fzero said:
The wavelength is still [tex]2\pi c/\omega[/tex].

Why is lambda = c/f not valid?

cristo said:
Why not ask your TA for clarification?

I forgot. I already bugged him about two other problems. I did poorly on this damn homework.

Shackleford said:
Why is lambda = c/f not valid?

It is, but [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex].

fzero said:
It is, but [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex].

Well, that's my mistake. I wasn't taking omega to be an angular frequency. Why? I don't know. Son of a *****.

1. What is a TA's note and why is it important?

A TA's note is a written comment or suggestion made by a teaching assistant to a student on their academic work. It is important because it provides additional feedback and guidance to the student, helping them improve their understanding and performance.

2. How should I interpret the TA's note?

The TA's note should be interpreted as a constructive criticism and a helpful tool for learning. It is meant to guide you towards a better understanding of the subject and to improve your work. It is important to carefully read and consider the note in order to make necessary improvements.

3. What should I do if I don't understand the TA's note?

If you don't understand the TA's note, you can reach out to the TA for clarification. They are there to assist you and will be happy to explain their note in more detail. It is important to seek clarification to ensure you are able to make the necessary improvements.

4. Can I ask for a revision based on the TA's note?

Yes, you can ask for a revision based on the TA's note. In fact, it is encouraged to do so in order to improve your work. However, it is important to follow any guidelines or instructions provided by the TA on how to make revisions.

5. Are TA's notes always negative?

No, TA's notes are not always negative. While they may point out areas for improvement, they may also provide positive feedback on areas where you have done well. It is important to take note of both the positive and negative aspects mentioned in the TA's note in order to continue improving.