Anyone here help out with the LHC@home sixtrack?I recently started

• Thread starter CallumBoson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary, the LHC@home sixtrack project allows users to donate their computer's processing power to help with simulations for the Large Hadron Collider. However, running these simulations can cause computers to overheat, so it is recommended to monitor CPU usage and use a utility program to limit it if necessary. Other distributed computing projects are also available for those interested. To test for overheating issues, BOINC and clients such as Einstein@Home can be used. However, there may be difficulties in getting the simulations to run on some computers. Overclocking should be approached with caution.
CallumBoson
Anyone here help out with the LHC@home sixtrack?

I recently started and find it pretty neat, not really much to do apart from sit and watch results be processed, but knowing it is helping the LHC is a good feeling.

Physics news on Phys.org

That looks cool. But what's the deal with this: "The applications run by SIXTRACK may cause some computers to overheat. If this happens, stop running SIXTRACK or use a utility program that limits CPU usage."?

ArcanaNoir said:
That looks cool. But what's the deal with this: "The applications run by SIXTRACK may cause some computers to overheat. If this happens, stop running SIXTRACK or use a utility program that limits CPU usage."?
That's funny Arcana, Callum FYI,

I use two clients http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/download_network.php" Clients when I want to heat stress my dual core CPU's, works like a charm to. I use Einstein Home to analyze data in the background. If I have a fan or inherent heat problem, the constant bounce between 30 - 100% CPU use never fails me. If it stays up I know I am good to go. Crazy, huh, you can tweak the amount of CPU used too. I had a heat sink problem with my home grown PC and two BOINC Clients pushed it over the edge. Got a new industrial strength heat sink, glued the processor to it, stressed the crap out of it using the same two clients, no heat shutdowns, good to go. A great diagnostic tool, IMHO.

Rhody...

P.S. My home grown PC was built by a friend, small motherboard, small case footprint, no overclocking with CPU's. No need because I am not a gammer. It was an intermittent problem, but use of BOINC and Einstein Home proved it was a heat sink problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcanaNoir said:
"The applications run by SIXTRACK may cause some computers to overheat. If this happens, stop running SIXTRACK or use a utility program that limits CPU usage."?

Translation: there are lots of people out there who built their own customized PCs without reallly knowing what they were doing.

Overclocking + undercooling + intensive computation = fried chips.

I run folding@home on occasion and can verify that it makes extreme amounts of heat come out of your computer. I fold on both of my video cards and three of my four CPU cores. I only fold in the winter though, it just makes too much heat. If I lived in Alaska I might fold 24/7, even then I would probably have to open a window...

IMP said:
I run folding@home on occasion and can verify that it makes extreme amounts of heat come out of your computer. I fold on both of my video cards and three of my four CPU cores. I only fold in the winter though, it just makes too much heat. If I lived in Alaska I might fold 24/7, even then I would probably have to open a window...
IMP,

So your gaming PC is a heat source, that is hilarious... :rofl:

Rhody...

rhody said:
IMP,

So your gaming PC is a heat source, that is hilarious... :rofl:

Rhody...

Absolutely, lots of heat. Not to mention that every fan in the computer goes to max and stays there, it is really loud. I have a 1250 watt modular power supply and I think it is running near its max while folding, it can heat an entire room in minutes.

If you want to stress test a new computer just run one of these distributed computing programs for a while...

P.S. If you want to see how many hardcore folding machines there are out there, use Google image search and look for "folding rig" and even "folding farm". There are thousands of individuals and universities out there folding right now, and some of them spend crazy amounts of money on their folding rigs. There are even new "video cards" that have no video output that are geared towards projects like these, see Tesla card by Nvidia.

Last edited:

So would it be a bad idea for me to run the LHC@home on my ordinary came-that-way-in-a-box computer?

ArcanaNoir said:
So would it be a bad idea for me to run the LHC@home on my ordinary came-that-way-in-a-box computer?

Not at all, it should run just fine. But be mindful that you will not able to use the computer for anything else while it runs, it will make the computer run at its limits, and you are paying right out of your pocket for the electricity to run it (and to run the A/C to remove the heat).
There are many worthwhile distributed computing projects out there that would love for you to join them.

IMP said:
Not at all, it should run just fine. But be mindful that you will not able to use the computer for anything else while it runs, it will make the computer run at its limits, and you are paying right out of your pocket for the electricity to run it (and to run the A/C to remove the heat).
There are many worthwhile distributed computing projects out there that would love for you to join them.
IMP, Arcana,

Do you know of any freeware to give you the temperature of the CPU(s) ? That would have been handy to have. I found this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/", but haven't tried it. Maybe Arcana can experiment and report back.

I tried to donate my time to the LHC@Home project, back in April 2010, and was never able to get sixtrack or garfield simulations to run on my PC. Here is a http://www.lhcportal.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=561&hilit=rhody" I documented it in. I since gave up donating my cpu cores to BOINC and clients that run under it. But as I said earlier I highly recommend it if you suspect your PC CPU(s) is/are overheating. Again, I used Einstein@Home to test my PC, the clients worked just fine.

My hardware friend who built the box said that built in protection to shutdown the CPU's kicked in safely, so I had no damage as a result of the test. If you are overclocked, I have no advice to give, proceed at your own peril.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Do you know of any freeware to give you the temperature of the CPU(s) ? That would have been handy to have. I found this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/", but haven't tried it. Maybe Arcana can experiment and report back.

Core Temp is alright, but its not the best. The best is HWMonitor, it gives you every piece of information you could need.

rhody said:
IMP, Arcana,

I don't think experimenting would be a good idea for me... :uhh:
I don't think I have enough computer knowledge to avoid a potentially damaging situation.

1. What is LHC@home sixtrack?

LHC@home sixtrack is a distributed computing project that allows volunteers to contribute their computer's processing power to simulate particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland. This helps scientists at CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) to analyze and improve the performance of the LHC.

2. How can I participate in LHC@home sixtrack?

To participate, you can download and install the BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) software on your computer, and then join the LHC@home sixtrack project. Once your computer is connected to the project, it will automatically receive tasks and process them in the background.

3. Is there a minimum or maximum amount of time I have to contribute?

There is no minimum or maximum time requirement for participation in LHC@home sixtrack. You can contribute as much or as little time as you want, and you can also pause or stop participating at any time.

4. How secure is LHC@home sixtrack for volunteers?

LHC@home sixtrack uses secure data transfer protocols and ensures that volunteers' personal information is kept confidential. The BOINC software also runs tasks in a sandboxed environment to protect your computer from any potential risks.

5. What impact does my contribution have on LHC research?

Your contribution, along with that of other volunteers, plays a crucial role in the success of LHC research. By running simulations on a large scale, scientists can gather more data and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of particles, which ultimately helps to advance our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.