Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone in the White Mountains this weekend?

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My wife and I are staying at the Crawford Notch Campground this weekend. Foliage out in full, no rain, gonna bag a quick Mt. Washington summit,

Who's in?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Color me jealous! I had to give up climbing due to knee surgeries and arthritis. I can climb up all day long, but going downhill kills me. Mt. Washington would be do-able, if I could stand being confined with fragranced people. Climb up, and Cog down.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

If there was an easy cheap way back down Katahdin, I'd pencil it in at least once a year. There are boulder-y ascents that require hand-strength and scrambling, and I could probably still do those easily, but the last time I descended, my knees swelled up so bad that when we hit the base, I had to get help taking off my jeans (cooler fall climb) and get some shorts on for the drive home. If you can get (and stay) fragrance-free including detergents and fabric softeners, I'll help you schedule some local accommodations, or you can camp on our property, and we can do a bit of fishing next summer. I fly-fish almost exclusively, but there are a couple of nice ponds that are really trout-y and allow artificial lures only (a bit more permissive) if you haven't gotten the fly-fishing bug. The best ponds are FFO, and some of them have a minimum length limit of 18". Wild brookies of 14-16" are a handful on light fly-rods, so if you've gotten hooked up with one 18-20", you'll need patience, luck, and some world-class grin-repellent.

trout.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pictures man, pictures. Mt Washington is on my short list of places to go hiking.....

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've learned to live with and accept the Cog. WHen passing by, I throw some of the scattered ash back at it, yelling "back whence ye came, hellspawn!" And wave, nicely.

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
    I'll be there with my wife and son. How will I know you?

8. Oct 6, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You just do the secret PF handshake of course

9. Oct 6, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Speak softly and carry a big fish.

10. Oct 6, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

He wears a kid on his shoulders. :biggrin:

11. Oct 6, 2009 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl: frozen of course :rofl:

12. Oct 6, 2009 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seriously? In the White Mountains in general, or at the Crawford Notch campground? Were at site 90, way at the end. Just my wife and I (kids at gramma an grampas). Don't knock after 8!

13. Oct 6, 2009 #12
    We go leaf-peeping every year and this year we planned to go to NH this coming weekend. I thought perhaps Franconia Notch, but we didn't make any solid plans. We just go and find what lodging we can. Perhaps I will swing by and say hello if it doesn't disturb what vague plans we have. I spent a lot of time in the Lakes Region as a child and I will certainly head that way. We will not be climbing Mt. Washington unless by cog rail.

14. Oct 6, 2009 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't posted here for a while, but just saw this thread and had to reply.

I too will be in the area this weekend. Haven't yet figured out where I'll be staying, but weather permitting (there will likely be rain Friday night and possibly Saturday morning), I'll be hiking in the Presidentials on Saturday and summitting Whiteface and Passaconaway on Sunday. One of my fellow hikers is staying in the Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch (I presume that's the same one you're staying at), and I may join him there, but more likely, will stay either in North Conway or Gorham. Only time I am able to visit, is unfortunately after 8pm, but I might run into you on Mt Washington (yeah, right ... you and a million other people) if you happen to be there Saturday afternoon!

I was in the Notch last weekend too, when the colors were starting to seriously change. I took this picture from the summit of Mt Willey, looking south along the Notch:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2522/pan1c.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Oct 7, 2009 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dry river campground is upstream from "Crawford Notch General Store and Campground." The latter is outside the park itself and is privately owned. They both have access to the Saco river which during the summer has wonderful swimability (a bit chilly now).

CNGS&C, is much more attractive to "Trailer Campers," a breed I used to rebuke with disgust. Since the kids arrived, I am a bit more tolerant, but still, folks who go camping while bringing EVERY piece of modern equipment with them AND a F******* generator to run them while "enjoying the outdoors" with their ******* microwave ovens and ******** televisions and ********* loud **** music playing on their ********* ****** ********** and ******* with their ********** going **** **** **** ***** all ******** night while *********** and ************ and *******

what was the question?

Oh, the Crawford Notch campground is really close to Bartlett, Glen, etc, so we'll be able to hit the restaurants. We'll have to put up with a little bit of noise, I guess.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Oct 7, 2009 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chi, Jimmy: Let me know if you folks are planning to meet up - I'd love to be able to join in, or meet either/both of you separately. Likely good times for me are Friday evening 6-8pm and maybe late Saturday night (after 9pm or so).

Astro: You should drive over - it's not too far from home is it? About 5-7 hrs from upstate NY along 90 and 91.

17. Oct 7, 2009 #16
    I PM'ed Gokul with my cell phone number. I can't PM Chi Meson, but he can PM me with any contact info if he wants me to call him.

18. Oct 7, 2009 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, OK. I've always had PM turned off b/c I really don't want to answer all those homework question PMs. Sunday is the day to be on the mountain. I expect Saturday evening, my wife and I will look for a decent burger and beer establishment.

19. Oct 13, 2009 #18
    The trip was a great success. We stayed in Laconia on Lake Winnipesaukee, the first night in a motel because we arrived late, the second night in a cabin which was our intention. Friday and Saturday were spent getting up there because we spent time with some relatives in Connecticut. When we got settled in Sat night, I saw that Gokul had left a message on my cell phone and so I called him back. He was in N. Conway which was too far north for us to get to that night. Sunday he spent the day hiking while we went leaf peeping. This is the best year I can recall for it. I had never gotten there at the peak before and so had never before seen an entire mountain covered in bright fall colors, and lit up by the sun. Crawford's Notch is a great place for it. However, there is a traffic jam of epic proportions in the town of N. Crawford and we went right through it. I didn't meet Chi Meson either, but I left a message at the desk and a note at his campsite just telling him that I had been there. Then we went further north and back south through Franconia Notch. It was getting late so we didn't stop at any of the sights, but the leaf peeping was excellent. As we went farther south, the spectacular show came to an end. By the time we got back to Laconia, the colors were about what you get in NJ at peak. After we got back, Gokul called again from N. Conway and again we didn't meet up.

20. Oct 13, 2009 #19
    These photos are none too good. Here are my son and wife.
    100_0106.JPG

Here is some mountain in Crawford's Notch.
    100_0109.JPG

Here is another photo of the scene that Chi Meson posted.
    100_0112.JPG

Our cabin on Lake Winnipesaukee.
    100_0114.JPG

The view across Lake Winnipesaukee from the cabin.
    100_0115.JPG

21. Oct 13, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fall_foliage.png

Cursor rollover message: "And I could replace you with older pictures of you, from back when you looked happy"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook