Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone know of a good free graphics program?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

MS paint really isn't up to the job sometimes, and I can't afford the latest Adobe Photoshop.

Does anyone know of any downloadable programs that are anywhere near decent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    You can download photoshop trial version. I hear that some people then find fake cd keys on the internet to unlock the full version. I, however, would not recomend doing that at all, because it amounts to stealing, and that would be wrong.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    Try The Gimp

Many people say it's almost as good as photoshop, and it's free and open source! From what I hear, it's not the easiest program to use though.

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    Here is a link to the Window's version of it: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html. Install both the GTK runtime and the main program to get it to work.

It isn't too terribly difficult to use, but it is a very powerful program. Its about as difficult to use as photoshop and the other mainstream programs.

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    I would go with GIMP too.

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6
    I knew a gimp, but he could draw about as well as he could walk.

8. Jan 22, 2006 #7
    I also would recommend GIMP. The only big complaint i've heard is that it only has RGB, not CMYK editing, which is not a problem for anything i've done. Another common complaint is that the interface is difficult to use, but there is enough online documentation, that with a little effort you should be able to learn where anything is.

9. Jan 22, 2006 #8
    I like Dia for simple diagrams: http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/. Or you could look at Inkscape if you're into more complicated vector graphics (I've never used it though).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  10. Jan 23, 2006 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Thanks guys. The Gimp seems pretty good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?