Anyone know of any good math scholarships or competitions?

• Thread starter Moo Of Doom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scholarships
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of financing for college, specifically through scholarships and competitions. The participants shared advice on how to find and apply for scholarships, including writing neatly and using typewritten applications to show seriousness. One participant also mentioned the possibility of obtaining financial aid from the government by portraying oneself as "poor." Another participant mentioned a specific scholarship for high scores on the AIME and USAMO exams. The conversation also touched on the idea of applying for merit money from universities.
Moo Of Doom
I'm trying to finance my way into college, and I'm having some trouble.

Anyone know of any good math scholarships or competitions? (Or maybe have some general advice too :biggrin:)

That'd be great. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
i would check your school or counselor and ask for some scholarship applications. the biggest piece of advice is always write very neatly and if possible, TYPEWRITE the application, which will let the scholarship committee know you are serious about the award.

Are you serious bjr_hyd15? They think that means you care more? Cool.

Go for financial aid from teh government too :D They love giving money to "poor people". I say "poor" because you can fraud the crap out of the government like my friends do. Pff, $5000 a semester for a college that costs $1350 a semester... my friend got a good payout there.

I know that there is a scholarship for scoring well on the AIME and making the USAMO.

bjr_jyd15 said:
i would check your school or counselor and ask for some scholarship applications. the biggest piece of advice is always write very neatly and if possible, TYPEWRITE the application, which will let the scholarship committee know you are serious about the award.

Does anyone handwrite their applications these days? I would hope not.

Maybe it gives off the impression that your poor and need money lol.

Moo, are you hoping to fund your studies at a specific school, or are you looking for financially attractive schools in general? If the latter, you should investigate merit money that various universities dole out, whether through their admissions offices or through specific colleges and programs (e.g. honors.) For instance, Bowling Green State University in Ohio gives full rides to National Merit finalists.

1. What are some examples of math scholarships and competitions?

Some examples of math scholarships and competitions include the Siemens Competition, the Intel Science Talent Search, the American Mathematics Competitions, and the National Science Bowl.

2. Who is eligible to apply for math scholarships and competitions?

Eligibility requirements vary depending on the specific scholarship or competition. Some may be open to high school students, while others may be restricted to college students or specific majors. It's important to carefully read the eligibility criteria before applying.

3. How can I find math scholarships and competitions to apply for?

You can start by researching online and checking with your school's math department or guidance counselor. You can also join math clubs or organizations that may offer information about relevant scholarships and competitions.

4. What is the application process like for math scholarships and competitions?

The application process will also vary depending on the scholarship or competition. Generally, it will involve submitting an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and possibly an essay or project. Some may also require an interview or presentation.

5. Are there any tips for improving my chances of winning a math scholarship or competition?

It's important to carefully read and follow all instructions for the application process. You should also make sure to highlight your achievements and passion for math in your application materials. Practicing and preparing for any required exams or interviews can also improve your chances of success.