Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone need a dream for today ?

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1

RonL

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that OmCheeto's boat?

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3

RonL

Gold Member

No I think his is about a meter less in length...:smile:

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Er, most of what is on that site are small yachts that middle-class people own.

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5

RonL

Gold Member

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/boat-shows-yacht-watching/3199-yachts-gibraltar.html

Scan through this thread......I was amazed.

Then again my eyes were opened just a couple of years ago, not sure how one can live in oblivion to such an extent, but I guess ambitions did not require a reason to make those kinds of observations ???:frown:

Ron

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6
    The boat is nice , but can I have it gold plated?

8. Apr 13, 2013 #7

RonL

Gold Member

Sure, why not?....just drop the gold at this address...XXXX,XX. I'll get right on it:biggrin:

9. Apr 13, 2013 #8

russ_watters

10. Apr 13, 2013 #9

RonL

Gold Member

Could be an age difference, during the time I grew up a millionaire was a big thing, the pictures are of yachts owned by people of greater wealth than my definition of middle class or even upper middle class....maybe I'm still out of touch:confused::smile:

11. Apr 13, 2013 #10

russ_watters

Well sure - it's called "inflation".
    The yachts pictured in that one thread are not owned by people who are middle class, they are owned by the super-rich. But that is a small part of that "site dedicated to yachts". Most of the yachts discussed in the site are not anywhere close to that big/expensive. Most are owned by people who qualify as "middle class" (yes, mostly upper middle class) in the West.

12. Apr 13, 2013 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ron! Long time no see.

I was just thinking about you yesterday. An acquaintance at work mentioned a new KERS system. Unfortunately, he could not remember the name of the company. But it made my head spin trying to once again solve the engineering problems involved.

Which also reminded me of someone from a previous science forum that I used to peruse:

bolding mine

Who I later found out had the surname of "Wells". Brilliant young man, btw.

"Wells" also happens to be the surname of the family that sold me my yacht:

WN3498MB_R4.JPG
    a stunning 488 cm piece of art​

hmmmm... I appear to be off topic, as this looks like a bunch of random thoughts......

hmmm... whatever... Did you see the yachts that I was going to buy for myself and lisab?

For me:
    Ms-Turanor-PlanetSolar-departs-Monaco-27-September-2010-courtesy-of-PlanetSolar-665x443.jpg
    solar powered of course.

and for lisab:
    ULTIMATE-LADY-Atol.jpg
    5500 mile range

Which is perfect, as the sun doesn't always shine, and we can tow each other, depending on cloud cover, all the way to Bora Bora, which I've recently discovered, is very nearly 5500 miles from the Straights of Juan De Fuca.

pf.juan.de.fuca.to.bora.bora.via.pearl.harbor.jpg

We will of course stop off at Pearl Harbor, and visit with B.Elliot, as he seems to be in a pissy mood as of late. Perhaps lisab and I can convince him and the crew of his submarine to join us. Now that would be an adventure.

:smile:

13. Apr 13, 2013 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

ps. Do not ever go for a submarine ride through the Straits of Juan de Fuca. As I recall, I threw up in my mouth that day.... :yuck:

That stupid kid at the SPCP from Montana kept making barfing noises, while the kid at the RPCP from California was barfing into a transparent garbage bag, while I was sitting at the EPCP, watching , and listening, and.....

3224878652_1b80b9a1ce_z.jpg

oh the memories........

14. Apr 13, 2013 #13

RonL

Gold Member

It takes a lot of time in the shop to build a.... Magnetic Monopole :shy: now there is a need to know why?? :rolleyes:

15. Apr 13, 2013 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

pps. Although, as they say; "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

My six brothers and sisters one day decided that we should all go deep sea fishing, way up off the coast of the Olympic Peninsula. I had better things to do with my time, but they insisted I go along.

I was the only one that didn't end up "chumming".

What a freakin' blast!

I seem to remember hanging off the bow, in a most Titanic type way. :biggrin:

and making fun of everyone. :devil:

16. Apr 13, 2013 #15

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks for the thread. Ahhh nostalgia... The yachts reminded me of my childhood in northwest Miami.
    About 1960 (7th grade) i built a 12 foot plywood skiff and fixed up an ancient outboard motor. Mom would drop us kids at Miami River and we'd motor about six miles to Biscayne Bay.. what wonderful Saturdays...

One of the sights was Merrill Stevens drydock. In wintertime we marvelled at the huge polished mahogany transoms on millionaire's yachts there....
    Of course back then this was a yacht:
    154_500_55_grebe_motor_yacht_22346308.jpg
    picture courtesy this outfit:http://seattle.showmethead.com/boats/15450055-grebe-motor-yacht_18574414.html

We once saw Cousteau's Calypso there.

i see Merrill Stevens is still there under new ownership.
    Marlow-Merrill-Stevens-Marlow-Yachts-buys-Merrill-Stevens-superyacht-refit-yard.jpg

Thanks for the dream fellows - i feel like I've been back to 1960 for a few minutes.

17. Apr 13, 2013 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Monopoles!? Good god.

google google google

?????

Are you talking about this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3551533&postcount=247

18. Apr 13, 2013 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sometimes I feel like the kids are actually thinking of us when they start these threads.

bcboatc2.jpg

hmmm... Is there a senile old fart dementia thread yet about boats? or visa versa? :tongue2:

19. Apr 13, 2013 #18

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  20. Apr 13, 2013 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I drove to work this last Wednesday and Thursday, with no radio, no cd player, no 8-track player, no i-pod.

Total silence.

I spent the entire 45 minute drive each day, designing and constructing chimera kayaks in my head.

I described my thoughts to a friend at work on Thursday, and he mentioned something about Inuit "split prow" kayaks being more efficient. I could not picture what on earth he was talking about, nor does google bring anything up. He mentioned that it was similar to the "whale catcher" bulbous things that stick out underwater from large ocean going vessels.

hull_3.jpg

I'm guessing this is my 7th research project...... :grumpy:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  21. Apr 13, 2013 #20

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook