Anyone own a Celestron 11'' schmidt cassegrain?

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
In summary: It should be turned around about a quarter turn so it is pointing south at the horizon. I'm sorry I can't be more help.In summary, the user's celestron C11 telescope was not aligned correctly and they were trying to align it to a star using the auto three star alignment function. The user's mount was a Celestron CG-5 mount and the user was trying to align it to betelgeuse. Betelgeuse is not in the south at sunset and the user was trying to align it to Procyon which is in the southeast. The user's telescope and mount should be turning roughly parallel to the ground with the scope rotating something like 140 degrees around the dec axis.
EIRE2003
Hi there,

I am using a celestron C11. But I really need some help with aligning it up through auto 3 star align.

The counter weight bar pointing approximately due north with the index marks aligned and locked.

I aligned the eyepiece with the finderscope on polaris.

I set the exact time and date, longitude and latitude for Dublin where I live.

I then selected auto three star alignment method.

I selected betelgeuse as my first alignment star, and that star was in the south east but when i clicked enter on it the telescope slewed down towards the western horizon.

What am I doing wrong??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As a matter of fact, I do... :biggrin:
www.russsscope.net

However, I'm guessing yours is mounted on a Celestron CG-5 mount? Mine is on an Orion mount. But, maybe I can help...

I don't understand what you mean by this:
The counter weight bar pointing approximately due north with the index marks aligned and locked.
Since the counterweight shaft is the dec axis, it is always perpendicular to the polar axis. The hole through the center of the mount (if you don't have a polar alignment scope in it) should point at Polaris. Usually, the home position has the counerweight shaft pointed down and the scope pointed north (like the picture on the front of the manual).

Other things to check:
-Time Zone
-E vs W longitude

Last edited:
Yes its on a CG-5 mount.
I mean the counter weight bar is pointing down and the optical tube is pointing at polaris. And the index marks (the two pairs of triangles are aligned with each other).

Another possibility - Beetlegeuse is due south at sunset right now. Please don't be insulted, but you aren't mixing it up with Procyon, are you (which is in the southeast)?

The telescope and counterweights should be turning roughly parallel to the ground with the scope rotating something like 140 degrees around the dec axis. Is it actually pointed down at the ground or just lower and further south than you think it should?

No betelgeuse is the red supergiant star situated diagonally to rigel. And it was in the south when was I trying to align it.

The image I have attached indicates how the scope is aligned initially when pointing at polaris in the north. Is that right?
The tube points to the west on the horizon.

Attachments

• C11ADM.jpg
    C11ADM.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:

Related to Anyone own a Celestron 11'' schmidt cassegrain?

1. What is the price of a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope?

The price of a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope can vary depending on the model and any additional accessories included. However, on average, these telescopes can range from $1,500 to $3,000.

2. What makes the Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope different from other telescopes?

The Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope is unique in that it uses a combination of a spherical mirror and a corrector plate to gather and focus light. This design allows for a compact and portable telescope with a large aperture for better viewing.

3. How difficult is it to set up and use a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope?

Setting up and using a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope can be a bit challenging for beginners. However, with proper instruction and practice, it can be mastered. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for guidance.

4. Can the Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope be used for astrophotography?

Yes, the Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope can be used for astrophotography. However, additional equipment such as a camera adapter and tracking mount will be needed for optimal results.

5. Is the Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope suitable for both terrestrial and celestial viewing?

Yes, the Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope is designed for both terrestrial and celestial viewing. Its compact design and high magnification make it ideal for observing objects in both the night sky and on Earth.