Proving the Limit of a Reciprocal Function

• Thread starter Bigo75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, to prove that lim x->a 1/F(x) = 0 given lim x->a F(x) = infinity, we use the definition of a limit to show that for any positive number M, there exists a delta value such that when x is within a certain distance from a, the value of F(x) is greater than M. This helps us to prove the desired limit by showing that as x approaches a, 1/F(x) approaches 0.
Bigo75

Homework Statement

Prove: If the Lim as x goes to a of F(x)=infinity, then lim as x goes to a of 1/F(x)=0

Homework Equations

We have only gone over limits and continuity using delta epsilion proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried? this is straightforward in the sense that it follows from the definitions

show us what you have tried

Since the limit is equal to infinity I took an M greater than zero such that X>M implies |F(x)-L| is less than epsilon but I get confused with the one over F(x)=0

am I on the right track? I am really confused!

Bigo75 said:
Since the limit is equal to infinity I took an M greater than zero such that X>M implies |F(x)-L| is less than epsilon but I get confused with the one over F(x)=0

this is wrong, lim x->a F(x) = inf means for all M > 0 there is a d > 0 s.t. |x-a| < d implies |F(x)| > M. (you can actually drop the absolute value sign here but i'll leave it)

ok I understand this definition but how does that help me get lim as x goes to a of 1/f(x)=0? This definition will help me prove another one I was having trouble with. thank you.

FAQ: Proving the Limit of a Reciprocal Function

1. What is analysis?

Analysis is the process of breaking down a complex topic or problem into smaller parts in order to better understand it. It involves examining data, facts, and evidence to draw conclusions and make informed decisions.

2. Why is analysis important?

Analysis is important because it helps us make sense of complicated information and make informed decisions. It allows us to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within data, which can then be used to create strategies, solve problems, and improve processes.

3. What are the different types of analysis?

There are several types of analysis, including qualitative analysis, which involves examining non-numerical data such as text, images, and videos, and quantitative analysis, which involves working with numerical data. Other types of analysis include comparative analysis, trend analysis, and root cause analysis.

4. What skills are needed for effective analysis?

Effective analysis requires a combination of critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also involves being able to organize and interpret data, as well as strong attention to detail and the ability to communicate findings clearly and accurately.

5. How can analysis be applied in different fields?

Analysis can be applied in various fields, including science, business, finance, marketing, and social sciences. In science, analysis is used to interpret data and draw conclusions about experiments and research. In business, it can be used to analyze market trends and make strategic decisions. In finance, analysis is used to assess investment opportunities and manage risks.

Back