Anyone read the NYT article on foreign workers and the tech industry?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an article about a bill that would allow more foreign workers in the tech industry, which has sparked a debate about the job market for engineers. Some individuals express concern about the competition for jobs, while others suggest that the problem lies in the skills and expectations of US graduates. Suggestions are made about seeking employment in other countries or considering alternative options, such as joining the Peace Corps or going to graduate school.
Yes, I should tell my girlfriend to quit her job where she is currently making very good money and will soon be making very very good money. All so I can pursue the lowly life of an academic and put her in the same position I am in.

If life were only so easy. I realize that a large part of my current situation is the fact that I am constrained to a metropolitan area of ~4 million people. At the same time, I am somewhat flummoxed by how difficult it has been for anyone to take me seriously. Particularly seeing firsthand how... mediocre many are in their jobs.

Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
Every private sector firm wants to maximize their profits to effectively compete. One of the easiest ways to do so is to cut down costs, and what cost is easier to control than wages & benefits? So of course every private sector firm wants cheap workers!

No doubt. I think it's selling the youth of our country a bill of goods to say they should enter STEM fields. It's IT, and more to the point, it's cheap IT. So have fun with that in the latter half of your career.

kinkmode said:
No doubt. I think it's selling the youth of our country a bill of goods to say they should enter STEM fields. It's IT, and more to the point, it's cheap IT. So have fun with that in the latter half of your career.

As opposed to what else? Do you really think that the youth in the US who are studying a non-STEM field are in any way better off than those who do?

Ideally, the US should be investing far more (either through direct subsidies or through other means) to encourage the development of new businesses who can thus hire more people. Absent that, I would encourage the youth in the US to do what others have -- leave! If you can't find a job in your particular town/city/state, leave that state for another state. If you can't find a job within the US, then leave the US!

We live in a globalized work environment, and so Americans shouldn't be so stuck on staying in the US.

kinkmode said:
Yes, I should tell my girlfriend to quit her job where she is currently making very good money and will soon be making very very good money. All so I can pursue the lowly life of an academic and put her in the same position I am in.

If life were only so easy. I realize that a large part of my current situation is the fact that I am constrained to a metropolitan area of ~4 million people. At the same time, I am somewhat flummoxed by how difficult it has been for anyone to take me seriously. Particularly seeing firsthand how... mediocre many are in their jobs.
If you can't find a job in industry in your particular location, then you will have no choice but to eventually leave to find it elsewhere -- there's no other way around it. That's the price you pay for studying physics, as opposed to engineering.

The harsh truth (as no doubt other posters can attest) is that a physics degree has not been in much demand outside of a few select areas outside of academia (oil & gas, defence, finance) since at least the 1960s, with the notable exception of those PhDs who specialized in experimental condensed matter physics (who often end up working for firms like Intel) or medical physics. And from what I have read, those select sectors tend to be highly clustered in specific geographic areas -- New York or the Northeast for finance, Texas for oil & gas.

So it may be the case that, at least temporarily, you may have to carry on long-distance relationship with your girlfriend if you ultimately want to find employment in industry. Or you may have to seek work in a non-STEM field or otherwise retrain yourself in another field, such as seeking a second degree in engineering or training yourself in statistics/data mining.

StatGuy2000 said:
If you can't find a job within the US, then leave the US!

Thats not really useful advise. How many countries have you immigrated too? Countries are not in the habit of importing the unemployed. The whole "vote with your feet" idea minimizes cultural and family ties and it also minimizes the difficulty and expense of constantly uprooting. Moving out of the bay area because you can't afford it is one thing, telling people they should try for jobs in singapore is kind of ridiculous. Only a minority of people and lifestyles will ever do such a thing. It is no solution at all for the bulk of people looking for work.

StatGuy2000 said:
As opposed to what else? Do you really think that the youth in the US who are studying a non-STEM field are in any way better off than those who do?

Frankly, they'd be better off being state troopers, plumbers, getting an MBA, etc. I'm sure I would have been better off being a state trooper. I'd be halfway to retirement. Instead I'm going on 35 with very little in the way of savings or career prospects.

My point is that I think companies in the US are overlooking a (very) small, but very high quality work force because this workforce doesn't fit into their conception of 'good candidates'. Why are we taking some of the best and brightest of our students, the ones who go to the top colleges and then to the top graduate programs (because society says that's a good thing) only to not utilize their talents when they leave academia?

I have some feelings about why. You can see it here, even on this forum. Bias against Ph.D.s, bias against those who have spent more than four years in academia, the whole 'real world' skills argument. Nobody denies that experience is a good thing, but come on. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen an engineer with years of 'real world' experience pooh-pooh someone like myself, and then make a complete fool of himself when he can't do the simplest of tasks, I wouldn't have to work. It's a dumb attitude and as a result, businesses aren't taking advantage of a great resource.

Never mind that a lot of people are intimidated by someone with a Ph.D. and don't understand what a good high quality professional scientist with a Ph.D. can do in a number of situations. Sure, Ph.D.s aren't all created equal; that's why you have to do some interviews to weed out the ones that don't meet your criteria, like inability to work with others. Instead, businesses like to use the one example of a socially inept Ph.D. to rule out ALL Ph.D.s. Yet they don't apply that same logic to the one (or more) socially inept computer programmers, HR people, managers, engineers, etc. They like to use the hypothetical situation of the hired Ph.D. who leaves when he/she finds a better job, yet they don't respond the same when pretty much everyone else they hire does the same exact thing.

StatGuy2000 said:
So it may be the case that, at least temporarily, you may have to carry on long-distance relationship with your girlfriend if you ultimately want to find employment in industry. Or you may have to seek work in a non-STEM field or otherwise retrain yourself in another field, such as seeking a second degree in engineering or training yourself in statistics/data mining.

Seriously, thanks for the advice. We've done the long distance thing for many years and finally brought an end to it.

I've sought employment in many non-STEM jobs. I can do stats/data mining. THE COMPANIES DON'T CARE.

ModusPwnd said:
Thats not really useful advise. How many countries have you immigrated too? Countries are not in the habit of importing the unemployed. The whole "vote with your feet" idea minimizes cultural and family ties and it also minimizes the difficulty and expense of constantly uprooting. Moving out of the bay area because you can't afford it is one thing, telling people they should try for jobs in singapore is kind of ridiculous. Only a minority of people and lifestyles will ever do such a thing. It is no solution at all for the bulk of people looking for work.

Well, without revealing too much personal information, I am an immigrant, born in Asia and moving first to the US and then relocating to Canada as a young child. So by that definition, I've immigrated to 2 countries. But that's beside the point.

The reason I suggested leaving the US is that the type of people who post in Physics Forums are generally people who are well-educated, specifically those educated in the STEM fields, like physics. These represent a minority of people, to be sure, but a minority who are probably better able to be mobile than others. So if you cannot find employment in the location you live, then the logical choice is to move to where the jobs are, whether within the US or possibly outside the US.

Besides, there are people throughout the world who make the choice to uproot themselves and immigrate to the US, in spite of cultural and family ties that would keep them in their respective countries of origin (many Canadians throughout the years have migrated to the US for work, for example). So what's so special about Americans that they cannot do the same?

It has nothing to do with Americans being special. Why are you nation bashing? This is irrelevant. Some Americans can and do move out of country for work. Most don't. There are not many places in the world looking for out of work physics grads. There is more opportunity in the US for out of work physics grads than there is in most countries. This leads to your other point which I think is valid, a physics degree is not in demand and one shouldn't expect to be in demand because they have a physics degree. In addition to employers underestimating a physics grads ability, perhaps the grads are overestimating their own ability.

They'd much rather hire someone who has 'experience' and does a mediocre job than someone like me. Any larger technical company would rather hire an engineer from a crappy school, who will do nothing but sit in a cubicle being mediocre, than 'take a chance'

Absolutely this- and the reason is that there is a pretty large supply of potential engineers. They don't have to take a risk because they can find someone they know will fill the job out. Even worse- tons of engineers don't seem to understand at all what physics is. The company I work for was recently consulting with an engineering firm and several of their managers I talked to were convinced that all of physics is curved-spacetime and black holes,etc.

The key to my job hunt was to give up all together on science/engineering type work and instead focus on places where actual shortages exist. Right now, there is a pretty strong demand for statistics/data-mining type work.

This subject frustrates me. As a society we claim we want to encourage young people to pursue STEM careers, but our actions speak louder than words.

Absolutely. We bemoan the unwillingness of people to pursue science degrees, but no one points out that its an awful economic decision likely to leave you on the wrong side of 30 with no savings trying to reinvent yourself so you can get a job.

kinkmode said:
Frankly, they'd be better off being state troopers, plumbers, getting an MBA, etc.

You may be right about being a plumber, but you are definitely wrong about getting an MBA (on its own, an MBA isn't worth s**t). As for being a state trooper, that may depend on the individual states; isn't it true that many state troopers have been laid off due to funding constraints?

StatGuy2000 said:
You may be right about being a plumber, but you are definitely wrong about getting an MBA (on its own, an MBA isn't worth s**t). As for being a state trooper, that may depend on the individual states; isn't it true that many state troopers have been laid off due to funding constraints?

I'm not sure. I would imagine with 12-13 years in the system, you'd probably not get laid off. A lot of scientists at my level (postdoc, early career) get laid off too when budgets get cut. A big difference between a state trooper and a scientist is that the trooper would have 13 years in the system, where as the scientist doesn't have much to show for it at all. And the trooper can then look around for positions as a city cop, county sheriff, correctional officer, parole officer, private security, campus security, etc.

And believe me, I have nothing against engineers, state schools, and other things you might think I'm 'arrogant' about. I do have a big problem with really, truly incompetent people talking down to me, which I have encountered quite a bit in the private sector. There are a lot of good people out there, but unfortunately there are lot of bad ones too. Like my ex-supervisor who couldn't email me to tell me my contract was over because he didn't know my last name, all four letters of it.