Anyone taken a Plasma Physics class?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a good textbook on plasma physics due to a difficult professor and for a job over the summer. Some suggested textbooks are mentioned, including Introduction to Plasma Physics by FF Chen, Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing by Lieberman and Lichtenberg, Principles of Plasma Physics by Krall and Trivelpiece, Principle of Plasma Diagnostics by Hutchinson, Plasma Diagnostic Techniques by Huddlestone, Principles of plasma electrodynamics by Alexandrov, Theory of tokamak plasmas by RB White, Plasma physics for nuclear fusion by K Miyamoto, Transport processes in plasmas by R Balescu, and Basic plasma physics by Rosenbluth et al. The conversation also notes that some of
PICsmith
Has anyone taken a an undergraduate course in plasma physics? If so, what text did you use and how did you like it? I need a text for plasma physics because:

1) I'm taking the course next semester and the professor doesn't use a textbook and he's also apparently a horrible teacher, so I'm buying a book anyway.
2) I need a good plasma text to learn/refer from for my job this summer.

I've been having a hard time finding any sort of information about this, and I'm posting here because no one ever looks at the Science Book Reviews section where I originally posted. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HerrSchlauberger said:
Has anyone taken a an undergraduate course in plasma physics? If so, what text did you use and how did you like it? I need a text for plasma physics because:

1) I'm taking the course next semester and the professor doesn't use a textbook and he's also apparently a horrible teacher, so I'm buying a book anyway.
2) I need a good plasma text to learn/refer from for my job this summer.

I've been having a hard time finding any sort of information about this, and I'm posting here because no one ever looks at the Science Book Reviews section where I originally posted. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

It's probably too late, but I'll chime in.

Introduction to Plasma Physics by FF Chen is a good introduction.

Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing by Lieberman and Lichtenberg is also a good book.

Principles of Plasma Physics by Krall and Trivelpiece is a decent beginner book, better for a bit more advanced stuff.

If you're interested in diagnostics, look at Principle of Plasma Diagnostics by Hutchinson or Plasma Diagnostic Techniques by Huddlestone.

Suggestions by Geoff are very good indeed, assuming you are interresting in plasma physics for nuclear fusion.

Note that plasma physics is a very broad discipline.

Additional references I like much are:

-Principles of plasma electrodynamics, Alexandrov & al, Springer
deal with waves in plasma

- Theory of tokamak plasmas, RB White, North Holland

- Plasma physics for nuclear fusion, K Miyamoto, MIT press

- Transport processes in plasmas, R Balescu, North Holland

- Basic plasma physics, Rosenbluth et al, North Holland

I could could be more precise if you could explain your plan with a little more details.

Michel

The only one of the above books that is really fusion oriented is Krall and Trivelpiece and a little bit of Chen. The rest are pretty broad, though mostly geared towards laboratory plasmas. Though fusion is what I'm working in (on a Tokamak).

1. What is Plasma Physics?

Plasma Physics is the study of the properties and behavior of plasma, a state of matter that consists of highly ionized gas. It is an interdisciplinary field that combines elements of physics, chemistry, and astrophysics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Plasma Physics class?

A Plasma Physics class typically covers topics such as plasma waves and instabilities, magnetohydrodynamics, plasma diagnostics, plasma confinement and heating, and plasma applications. It may also include discussions on plasma physics research and current advancements in the field.

3. Is a background in physics necessary to take a Plasma Physics class?

While a background in physics is helpful, it is not always necessary to take a Plasma Physics class. Some universities may offer introductory courses that do not require prior knowledge of physics. However, a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations, is essential for success in a Plasma Physics class.

4. What are the potential career opportunities for someone who has taken a Plasma Physics class?

A Plasma Physics class can open up a variety of career opportunities, particularly in research and development. Graduates may work in fields such as fusion energy, plasma processing, plasma propulsion, materials science, and astrophysics. They may also pursue advanced degrees in Plasma Physics or related fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Plasma Physics?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Plasma Physics. Some examples include plasma TVs, fluorescent lights, plasma cutting tools, and plasma thrusters used in spacecraft propulsion. Plasma Physics research also has the potential to contribute to advancements in energy production, space exploration, and medical treatments.