Apache 2.2 mod_rewrite question

• Thread starter Paolo Cera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apache
In summary, the conversation is about finding the proper syntax for capturing a metaphor in a cookie and URI. The person is using a rewrite rule and is trying to use a local backreference, but it only works on POSIX 1003.2+ compliant OSes. The solution is to use \N instead of /N$ for the bind name.
Paolo Cera
Anyone know of the proper syntax that captures this metaphor?

Given a Cookie and URI, I would like to check for the existence of a substring in the cookie in the URI and then proceed to a rewrite rule accordingly.

Here's an example of my reasoning

Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE},%{REQUEST_URI} .*xXx(.+)xXx.*,.*$1.*
RewriteRule blah,blah,blah

I would suspect something likes this is syntactically correct, but repeated testing proves me wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Got the answer to this. Turns out that I'm trying to do something called a local backreference, and the solution is only portable to POSIX 1003.2+ compliant OSes. More on it can be found here.

Note, the bind name /N$ (where 0 < N < 9) did not work for me, but \N did.

Anyways, hope this doesn't trip up anyone else in the future.

The syntax you have provided for the mod_rewrite rule is close, but it may not capture the intended metaphor accurately. In order to check for the existence of a substring in the cookie and URI, you would need to use the %{HTTP_COOKIE} and %{REQUEST_URI} variables in the RewriteCond statement. These variables represent the cookie and URI strings, respectively. You can then use regular expressions to search for the desired substring within these variables. For example, your RewriteCond statement could be written as:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} .*xXx(.+)xXx.*
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .*%1.*
RewriteRule blah,blah,blah

In this case, the first RewriteCond statement checks for the existence of the substring "xXx(.+)xXx" within the cookie. The parentheses capture the substring and save it as %1. The second RewriteCond statement then checks for the existence of the captured substring (%1) within the URI. If both conditions are met, the RewriteRule will be applied accordingly.

It's important to note that regular expressions can be tricky and require thorough testing to ensure they are capturing the desired substring accurately. Additionally, the syntax may vary depending on the server and version of Apache being used. I would suggest consulting the Apache documentation or seeking assistance from a developer experienced in mod_rewrite to fine-tune your syntax and ensure it accurately captures the metaphor you are trying to convey.

1. What is Apache 2.2 mod_rewrite and what does it do?

Apache 2.2 mod_rewrite is a module for the Apache web server that allows for URL rewriting. It enables webmasters to manipulate URLs in a variety of ways, including redirecting, hiding, and blocking specific URLs.

2. How do I enable mod_rewrite on my Apache 2.2 server?

To enable mod_rewrite, you will need to access the Apache configuration file (usually named httpd.conf) and uncomment the line that says "LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so". Then, restart the server for the changes to take effect.

3. Can I use regular expressions with mod_rewrite?

Yes, mod_rewrite supports regular expressions. This allows for more advanced and flexible rewriting rules to be created.

4. What are some common use cases for mod_rewrite?

Some common use cases for mod_rewrite include creating shorter, more user-friendly URLs, redirecting old or broken URLs to new ones, and blocking malicious requests from specific IP addresses.

5. Are there any downsides to using mod_rewrite?

One potential downside to using mod_rewrite is that it can slow down your server if not used properly. It is important to carefully design and test your rewriting rules to ensure they are efficient and do not cause performance issues.