Apparently easy Chain Rule Problem

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the derivative of a function using chain rule, but gets different results everytime he tries. He finds the solution after awhile of work.
rambo5330

Homework Statement

F(s) = ( s - [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex])3

I have to calculate the derivative of this using chain rule everytime i try i get something way different than in the back of the book... my first move is

3( s - [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex])2 X ( 1 + [tex]\frac{2}{s^3}[/tex])

is this correct? then expand out from here? maybe there's a problem when i expand.. i don't know but any help would be great thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rambo5330! :smile:
rambo5330 said:
F(s) = ( s - [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex])3

I have to calculate the derivative of this using chain rule everytime i try i get something way different than in the back of the book... my first move is

3( s - [tex]\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex])2 X ( 1 + [tex]\frac{2}{s^3}[/tex])

looks ok to me …

what do you get when you expand it?

Yeah,

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}F(s) = 3(s - \frac{1}{s^2})^2 (1 + \frac{2}{s^3})[/tex]

Seems fine.

Maybe the author expanded the expression, what answer do you have in the back of the book?

EDIT: Listen, I've expanded it and what I've found was something like this

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}F(s) = 3(\frac{s^3-1}{s^2})^2(\frac{s^3 +2}{s^3}) \Rightarrow 3(\frac{(s^3-1)^2}{s^4})(\frac{s^3 +2}{s^3}) = \frac{3}{s^7}((s^3-1)^2(s^3+2)) [/tex]

Last edited:
sorry for late response...

the answer in the text is.

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}F(s) = \frac{3( s^9 - 3s^3 + 2)}{s^7}[/tex]

when i expand i end up with something similar to yours but i obviously made an error somewhere I'm going to try again right now... i really don't see how they are arriving at this solution

so i finally arrived at the solution thanks a bunch.. i justt needed to know if i was wrong right off the bat or if it was in my expansion and you jeez.. after awhile of work i found where i made my error.. and i arrived at

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}F(s) = 3(s^2 - \frac{3}{s^4} + \frac{2}{s^7})[/tex]

which in then became clear that the book cleared the fractions by multiplying/dividing by s7

pain in the butt

1. What is the Chain Rule in calculus?

The Chain Rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of composite functions. In other words, it helps us find the rate of change of one function with respect to another function.

2. How do you apply the Chain Rule to a problem?

To apply the Chain Rule to a problem, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This gives you the derivative of the composite function.

3. What is an "apparently easy" Chain Rule problem?

An "apparently easy" Chain Rule problem refers to a problem that may seem simple at first glance, but can actually be tricky to solve using the Chain Rule. It may involve multiple functions within functions or complicated expressions.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Chain Rule problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Chain Rule problems include forgetting to apply the Chain Rule, incorrectly identifying the outer and inner functions, and making mistakes in the derivative of the inner function.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the Chain Rule?

To improve your understanding of the Chain Rule, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling. It can also be helpful to review the basic concepts of derivatives and composite functions.