Chain Rule Problem (Partial derivatives)

In summary, the conversation discusses applying the chain rule and Clairaut's theorem to solve a problem involving partial derivatives. The issue is that the conversation is using the basic form of the chain rule, replacing z with ∂z/∂u, which leads to some confusion. However, the problem becomes straightforward once the correct application of the chain rule is understood.
slr77

Homework Statement

pic.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution to this problem and the issue I'm having is that I don't understand this step:

pic2.PNG

Maybe I'm overlooking something simple but, for the red circled part, it seems to say that ∂/∂x(∂z/∂u) = (∂2z/∂u2)y+(∂2z/∂v∂u)(-y/x2). I realize that ∂2z/∂x∂u = ∂2z/∂u∂x but I can't see how either of them leads to the above. I almost understand it when I try to take the latter but apparently they take y and y/x^2 as constants and I don't understand why that is (assuming that is indeed what the solution is doing).

Physics news on Phys.org
slr77 said:
I realize that ∂2z/∂x∂u = ∂2z/∂u∂x

This is generally not true. The partial derivative with respect to x implicitly assumes y to be constant and the partial derivative with respect to u assumes v to be constant.

You are looking to apply the chain rule in its most basic form:
$$
\partial_x = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial_u + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \partial_v.
$$
What is being used is simply the very first line, but with ##z## replaced by ##\partial z/\partial u##.

Orodruin said:
This is generally not true. The partial derivative with respect to x implicitly assumes y to be constant and the partial derivative with respect to u assumes v to be constant.

You are looking to apply the chain rule in its most basic form:
$$
\partial_x = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial_u + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \partial_v.
$$
What is being used is simply the very first line, but with ##z## replaced by ##\partial z/\partial u##.

Oh of course, I remember how to do this now. ∂z/∂u is a function of (u,v) which are functions of (x,y) so I just apply the chain rule like usual.

I made some really bad mistakes here (especially applying Clairaut's theorem so incorrectly) but at least the problem now looks pretty straightforward. Thanks for the help.

Related to Chain Rule Problem (Partial derivatives)

1. What is the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. In the context of partial derivatives, it is used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. When should I use the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

The Chain Rule should be used when finding the partial derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. This means that the variable of interest is not directly dependent on the function, but rather, it is dependent on another variable which is then dependent on the function.

3. How do I apply the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

To apply the Chain Rule in partial derivatives, you need to first identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, you take the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and multiply it by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.

4. Can the Chain Rule be used for higher order derivatives?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be used for higher order derivatives. In this case, you need to use the Chain Rule multiple times, depending on the order of the derivative that you are trying to find. Each time, you will take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

Some common mistakes when using the Chain Rule in partial derivatives include forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function, not applying the Chain Rule correctly, and not simplifying the resulting expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to the details to avoid these mistakes.