1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule Problem (Partial derivatives)

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    pic.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the solution to this problem and the issue I'm having is that I don't understand this step:

pic2.PNG

Maybe I'm overlooking something simple but, for the red circled part, it seems to say that ∂/∂x(∂z/∂u) = (∂2z/∂u2)y+(∂2z/∂v∂u)(-y/x2). I realize that ∂2z/∂x∂u = ∂2z/∂u∂x but I can't see how either of them leads to the above. I almost understand it when I try to take the latter but apparently they take y and y/x^2 as constants and I don't understand why that is (assuming that is indeed what the solution is doing).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is generally not true. The partial derivative with respect to x implicitly assumes y to be constant and the partial derivative with respect to u assumes v to be constant.

You are looking to apply the chain rule in its most basic form:
    $$
    \partial_x = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial_u + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \partial_v.
    $$
    What is being used is simply the very first line, but with ##z## replaced by ##\partial z/\partial u##.

4. Aug 10, 2015 #3
    Oh of course, I remember how to do this now. ∂z/∂u is a function of (u,v) which are functions of (x,y) so I just apply the chain rule like usual.

I made some really bad mistakes here (especially applying Clairaut's theorem so incorrectly) but at least the problem now looks pretty straightforward. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted