1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1

S.R

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let g(x, y) = f(sin(y), cos(x)). Find the second partial derivative of g with respect to x (g_xx).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to find g_x, but I'm not entirely sure how chain rule applies in this situation.

Is this correct?

g_x = f_x(sin(y), cos(x)) * (-sin(x))

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2
    To get the derivative with respect to ##x,## by chain rule: $$\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \sin y}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial \cos x}{\partial x}$$
    and see every term if one can be cancelled.

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3

S.R

Ah, thank-you. The first term cancels, right?

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4
    Yes, for the ##\sin y## doesn't depend on ##x.##

6. Jun 6, 2016 #5
    However, forgetting to remind, in the calculation, mind the terms regarding ##f## you have to plug in its pair ##(\sin y,\cos x).##

7. Jun 6, 2016 #6

S.R

Should it be d/dx(siny) as in the single var. case?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Jun 6, 2016 #7
    To be precise, you are right, but using partial derivative doesn't make no sense based on the definition also haha (just for my laziness)

9. Jun 6, 2016 #8

S.R

How would I obtain g_y though? I'm also not sure how to derive the first formula.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Jun 6, 2016 #9
    Well...then maybe you don't understand the chain rule totally...For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule
    To make yourself really acquire the information, I suggest getting the full picture of it including the proof.

11. Jun 6, 2016 #10

S.R

The way I learned the chain rule (in the context of multivariable functions) was to draw a dependency diagram. In this case, however, the dependency diagram is not clear.

12. Jun 6, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I learned this stuff we were advised to use notation like ##f_1##, which is "partial derivative of ##f## with respect to the first variable" and ##f_2## for "... with respect to the second variable". That way, when you swap the positions of ##x## and ##y## (as done in this problem) you avoid getting yourself hopelessly confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted