Chain rule problem: proper method?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the chain rule and identities to obtain the formula for Dxcosx. There is a discrepancy between the result obtained by the person and the formula in the textbook, but it is determined that the derivative is correct and the difference is due to leaving the formula in a general form. The conversation also touches on notation and the importance of being explicit to avoid confusion.
stevensen

Homework Statement

Use the chain rule, the derivative formula Dxsinu=cosuDxu, together with the identities
cosx=sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 -x) and sinx=cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 -x)
to obtain the fomula for Dxcosx.

Homework Equations

Chain rule: dy/dx=dy/du[itex]\cdot[/itex]du/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

For my second attempt (the website made me log in again when I clicked on "Preview Post" last time - that seems to happen a lot):
Dxcosx=Dxsin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 -x)
=cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 -x)(-1)
=-sinx

This is the result that I expected, but the formula in the textbook says Dxcosu=-sinuDxu. I realize that this formula contains "u"s and the required formula does not. I also realize that Dxx=1, which does account for the discrepancy between the answer that I got and the formula in the book, but I can't help wondering if it was by sheer happenstance that it turned out to work. I see no progression that could lead me to obtain the result that Dxcosx=-sinxDxx.

I'm not sure if I'm employing the chain rule properly. As you can see, I only used one variable in my proof, but the question uses both "u" and "x." Is there some form of notation that is considered correct for this kind of proof? (If so, I'd love to know why. There seem to be too many ways of expressing the same idea: dy/dx, d/dx, Dx, f'(x), others?) Thanks for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
your derivative is correct, the only difference is the book leave it in a general form, for a general function u(x)

notation should go with the context of the problem, or how you learn it in class I guess, but all those you mention can mean the same thing. \

Generally if there's any chance of confusion I try and be as explicit as possible
[tex]\frac{dy(x)}{dx}[/tex]

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of the outer function with respect to the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different variables in a function.

3. What is the proper method for using the chain rule?

The proper method for using the chain rule involves identifying the outer and inner functions in a composite function, using the chain rule formula to calculate the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function. This process is repeated until all functions have been accounted for.

4. How do you know when to use the chain rule?

You should use the chain rule whenever you encounter a composite function, where one function is nested inside another. This could include functions with trigonometric, logarithmic, or exponential components.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function, not identifying the correct inner and outer functions, and not simplifying the final result. It is also important to carefully apply the chain rule when dealing with more complex functions.