1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus Chain Rule Problem: Wave equation

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that any function of the form

##z = f(x + at) + g(x - at)##

is a solution to the wave equation

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2}##

[Hint: Let u = x + at, v = x - at]

2. The attempt at a solution

My problem with this is not that I haven't been able to solve it. The book's solution is right here:
    hLVjQdS.png

I began to have trouble when I decided not to use f'(u) and g'(v) instead I used ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial u}## and ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial v}##

When I did this I got

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2} = \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial u^2} + \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v} + \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial v^2}##

and

##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 (\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial u^2} - \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v} + \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial v^2})##

And that does not fulfill the condition stated in the beginning.

So I have a two questions in the end:

1)What is the difference between writing f'(u) and ##\frac {\partial z} {\partial u}##?

2)Do ##\frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}## and ##- \frac {2 \partial^2 z } {\partial u \partial v}## both evaluate to 0? (That's the only way ##\frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial t^2} = a^2 \frac {\partial^2 z} {\partial x^2}##) or did I do something wrong in my calculations?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2
    One ordinarily would use the notation f'(u) when f is deemed to be a function of a single variable, and ∂f/∂u when f is a function of several variables including u. However, the notation shouldn't make any difference.

Your problem is that when you went for ∂##^2##z/∂x##^2## you regarded ∂f/∂u as a function of both u and v, which it is not -- it is a function of u alone. Same with v. So you are not going to get any cross terms.

This may be a good reason why ∂f/∂u isn't a good way to notate f'(u).

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    Thank you so much. This has been bothering me for a while. So basically I interpreted this as ##f(u,v)## instead of ##f(u)## and ##g(v)## separately. Right?

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4
    Exactly right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted