1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of integration: Volume

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Find the volume of the right cone of height 9 whose base is an ellipse. Major axis 12 and minor axis 6.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

use the formula for the volume of a cone.

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't know there was a formula for the volume of a cone with a non-circular base!

Hmm- I guess there will be once we do the integral!

nyfan0729: At height "y" above the base of the cone, a cross section will be an ellipse with major axis of length (2/3)(9- y) and minor axis of length (1/3)(9-y): that would have area
    [tex]\frac{2\pi}{9}(9-y)^2[/tex]

It should be easy to integrate that from y= 0 to 9.

5. Dec 4, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If it is done correctly, it is one third of the product of the base area and the height (a right cone is, of course, assumed):

Let (x,y) be an arbitrary point in the base area A lying in the plane z=0, and for simplicity, let the position of the apex be (0,0,h), where h is the height,

Thus, the cone may be represented as:
    [tex]\vec{F}(x,y,t)=((x,y,0)-(0,0,h))t+(0,0,h)=(xt,yt,h(1-t)), (x,y)\in{A}, 0\leq{t}\leq{1}[/tex]
    The Jacobian is [itex]ht^{2}[/tex], from which the volume formula follows:
    [tex]V=\int{dV}=\iint_{A}\int_{0}^{1}t^{2}hdtdA=\frac{h}{3}\iint_{A}dA=\frac{Ah}{3}[/tex]

6. Dec 4, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Arildno,

I believe the result is even more general than that. You don't have to assume a "right cone." As long as the horizontal cross sections of the cone are self-similiar then you'll get the same result.

7. Dec 5, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I assumed a "right cone" since that was assumed in the exercise.
    You are right, of course..:wink:

8. Dec 5, 2005 #7
    But it's obviously half the volume of a right circular cone of diameter 12 because it's just compressed to half size in the direction of the minor axis, so [tex]\frac{\pi 6^2}{2.3}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?