1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of WKB method to a magnetization problem

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    It is not from my howework(due I'm not in the undergrad now), but it seems to be a very easy question I have to know answer to, but I fail to do so.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to go from classical to quantum Hamiltonian via WKB method (and both to solve Schroedinger equation)
    It looks like E=-K1Mz2+K2Mx2-(H,M). H =(Hx,Hy,Hz) - external magnetic field, constant in time, M2=const. Here M is the magnetization vector.

2. Relevant equations
    I've got the system of equations of motion for classical case
    [itex]\dot{M_x}[/itex]=2K1MzMy+HzMy-HyMz,

[itex]\dot{M_y}[/itex]=-2(K1+K2)MzMx+HxMz-HzMx,

[itex]\dot{M_z}[/itex]=2K2MxMy+HyMx-HxMy

3. The attempt at a solution

Then I need to use WKB method, and I have 2 variables. When I write down the Schroedinger equation I either need to separate variables (and then solve using WKB like hydrogen atom) or to use multiple-variables WKB method if they cannot be separated.

Both in xyz and spherical (if I didn't do any mistake) I cannot separate variables in Schroedinger equation.
    Any ideas how to apply WKB here (or ideas of I did mistakes)?

So, the question is
    - to help me check whether in any coordinate system variables can be separated, if yes - in which one?
    - if they cannot - how to apply 2-variable WKB method here?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?