Applied math work opportunities for high school students?

In summary, if you are in the US and interested in applied math, your best bet is to ask your high school teachers or look for formal internship programs.
algebraicpotato
Hi. I'm a high school student interested in applied math, including but not limited to climate modelling, auto differentiation, and simulations. It'd be really nice if I could get some experience in those fields in a structured learning environment, like an internship, with mentors if possible. How would I go about finding such opportunities and what projects could I work on? Thanks in advance!

Likes yucheng
Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

It would be helpful to know where you are located. Are you located in the US? If you are American (or living in the US), where in the US are you located? Any opportunities for internships would very much depend on this.

I have another question: can you program? Because any internship related to applied math involved (especially those who are still in high school) will involve programming at some level.

I know that in Canada there is the Shad Valley program available for high school students:

https://www.shad.ca/

For those in the US, I found the following link (not specifically for applied math, but some of the links mentioned could include a math component):

https://careerkarma.com/blog/research-internships-for-high-school-students/

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, algebraicpotato, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
I am currently living outside the us. As for programming, I can do some basic programming but can always learn. Would that limit my chances at getting an internship?

Likes vanhees71
By the way, sorry for the late reply. I was traveling. :)

StatGuy2000 said:
It would be helpful to know where you are located.
algebraicpotato said:
I am currently living outside the us.
OK, so that nails it down to about 199 countries.

Are you in, say, Estonia? Don't worry...we'll get to it sooner or later.

Or you could just answer the question.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Ah, I’m in South Korea.

OP: Start by asking your high school teachers. They might know of any formal internship programs available for high school students in your country. If there aren't any, you would most likely need a personal connection (a high school teacher, friend, family member ...) to help out. Either directly, or refer you to someone (e.g., a university professor or an industry researcher) who might.

E.g. I'm in the US. Many moons ago, I was working on a high school science fair project and needed a metallurgical microscope. My high school science department had only biological microscopes. My brother knew someone who was a metallurgy professor at a nearby university. My brother talked to the professor, and the professor let me use a microscope in his lab.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Yeah, makes sense. I'll have to try that out! Thanks.

Likes berkeman

1. What types of jobs can high school students expect to find in the field of applied mathematics?

High school students interested in applied mathematics can find a variety of job opportunities in fields such as finance, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Some common job titles include data analyst, financial analyst, software developer, and actuary.

2. Do high school students need a college degree to work in applied math?

While a college degree is typically required for most positions in the field of applied mathematics, there are some entry-level jobs available for high school students. These may include internships or assistant positions that provide on-the-job training and experience.

3. Are there any online or remote opportunities for high school students in applied math?

Yes, there are many online and remote opportunities for high school students in applied math. These may include virtual internships, online courses, or freelance work in areas such as data analysis or programming.

4. What skills are important for high school students to have in order to succeed in applied math work?

High school students interested in pursuing applied math work should have a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Strong communication and computer skills are also important for many positions in this field.

5. Are there any programs or resources specifically designed for high school students interested in applied math?

Yes, there are many programs and resources available for high school students interested in applied math. These may include summer programs, workshops, or online courses offered by universities, professional organizations, or private companies.