Applied Physics/Engineering for Research

In summary: Overall, with your interest in physics and experience in quantitative biology and biomedical engineering, pursuing a degree in Applied Physics would align well with your interests and career goals. In summary, a degree in Applied Physics would be ideal for someone interested in research and working in a national lab or research facility. Focusing on specific fields such as particle accelerators, laser experimentation and electronics, condensed matter, and biophysics would also be beneficial.
bomanimc
Hello. I am a senior in high school who is looking for some guidance deciding on what would best suit my interests. I would like to work with a national lab or something along those lines in the future.

I think that construction of particle accelerators, laser experimentation and electronics, condensed matter, and biophysics would also be cool fields of work.

What engineering fields of study would be ideal for me if I want to do research rather than working in the industry? Would these fields be better suited for a person with degree in Applied Physics? What do you guys think?
Thanks!

{Extra Info about me if you want it:
Currently, I do research in quantitative biology and biomedical engineering at Vanderbilt University. I have worked on robotics competitions and I am the president of a robotics club at my school. I definitely enjoy doing physics and I feel that it is very interesting and cool. I took AP Physics B, but only made a 4 on the exam. I am not necessarily the best a physics, but I do think it is one subject that I would be willing to work on to no end in order to become more competent. Currently, I am taking AP Physics C, AP Calculus AB, and AP Computer Science. I have also taken AP Environmental Science (5) and AP English Langauge (5). }

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are interested in working with a national lab or research facility, a degree in Applied Physics would be a great choice. It would give you a good foundation in physics and help you understand the basics of how things work on a more fundamental level. Additionally, it will provide you with the practical skills necessary to carry out experiments and build prototypes. You could also consider specifically focusing on fields such as particle accelerators, laser experimentation and electronics, condensed matter, and biophysics. This would allow you to have a more specialized knowledge that could be used in research and development of new technologies.

What is the difference between applied physics and engineering for research?

Applied physics involves the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems, while engineering for research focuses on using engineering techniques to conduct research and develop new technologies.

How does applied physics/engineering for research contribute to scientific advancements?

Applied physics and engineering for research play a crucial role in developing new technologies and improving existing ones. They also help to solve complex problems in various fields, such as medicine, energy, and transportation.

What are some examples of applied physics/engineering for research in action?

Examples include the design and development of new medical imaging devices, the creation of renewable energy sources, and the improvement of transportation systems through advancements in materials science and aerodynamics.

What skills are necessary for a career in applied physics/engineering for research?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of physics and mathematics, and proficiency in computer programming and data analysis are all essential for a career in applied physics/engineering for research.

What are some current challenges in the field of applied physics/engineering for research?

Some of the current challenges include developing sustainable energy sources, improving healthcare technologies, and finding ways to mitigate the effects of climate change through engineering solutions.