Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied shear stress between plates

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    Hi :), I need to calculate the shear stress applied between 2 plates and I dont remember how to take the thickness of the plates into account, --So basically I will be grateful if somebody could write the equillibrium for shearing stress between 2 plates (1 plate is applying force on the other plate(2) and causing shear stress between plate number 2 and what it's attached to).
    Apart from that, I wish to improve my english so if i have any mistakes with what i wrote please correct me.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2
    The shear strain is equal to the relative displacement of the plates divided by the thickness of the sample. Is this enough to get you what you want? Do you know how the shear stress is related to the shear strain?

Chet

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    The relative displacement is the velocity with relation to both plates, Or do you mean the change in the material?, Because i know that the strain is all about the change in the material.Can you please put more details into that because I think im missing alot here.
    thx:)

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4
    Are we talking about a solid or a Newtonian fluid?

Chet

6. Oct 27, 2014 #5
    solid

7. Oct 27, 2014 #6
    If it's a solid, what does velocity have to do with the equilibrium relative displacement?

Chet

8. Oct 27, 2014 #7
    I asked what do you mean by the relative displacement?

9. Oct 27, 2014 #8
    It is the distance that one plate moves sideways relative to the other plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook