Should I Pursue a PhD in Math or Statistics Given My Background in Probability?

• Thread starter jimmypoopins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply Phd
In summary, a PhD in statistics focuses on the application of mathematical principles to analyze data, while a PhD in mathematics focuses more on the theory and foundations of math. Requirements for applying to these programs usually include a strong background in math or related fields, a bachelor's or master's degree, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. It is possible to apply to both programs, but the application process and requirements may differ. Possible career paths for those with a PhD in statistics or mathematics include jobs in finance, healthcare, government, and technology. The average time to complete a PhD in these fields is 4-5 years, but may vary depending on individual research progress and prior education.
jimmypoopins
I'm a graduate student at MSU getting my M.S. statistics right now. The department I'm in is the "Department of Statistics & Probability" and the majority of the courses I've taken have actually been probability related.

I'm applying to PhD programs right now, and my interest is more in probability rather than statistics (though I do have mild interest in statistics and I wouldn't mind getting a PhD in stat). For this reason, for most of the schools that I'm interested in, I'm applying to both their math programs (with probability focus) and their stat programs.

My question then, is for the schools that I have to choose (i.e. UCLA is one), am I going to be at a disadvantage trying to get into a math program over a stat program? Normally I wouldn't consider it to be an issue, but I got my B.S. in math and was very undisciplined during my undergrad and did terribly in a lot of upper level courses (2.5 intro analysis, 2.5 abstract alg, 2.5 abstract alg II, though I did do well in a few others. I think my avg math gpa was ~3.25 with my undergrad gpa 3.07), while I am doing very well in my masters program, getting all 4.0's and 2 3.5's to get an average 3.91 gpa, but those are mostly in stat courses (a few exceptions being 4.0 real analysis II, 4.0 intro measure theory, and 4.0 in two stochastic processes classes which could be considered mathematics courses) and I am taking theory of probability I and II this fall and spring and intend to 4.0 them.

In addition, I have very strong letters of recommendation from three professors, one being in the math department, one being joint math/stat, and the last being in the stat department (though her research is in probability + stochastic processes), but my only paper (on arXiv, and being reviewed for publication right now by a journal) is an application of time series.

My last concern is that I am taking the math subject GRE next week and also nov 10, and I haven't studied nearly as much for it as I'd like. I can get away with just not sending my scores to, for example, UCLA if I just apply to their statistics program.

I apologize for the long-winded post, but this is something I have been debating over for a long time and was hoping to get some input. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions, or need to know additional information, and thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear graduate student at MSU,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of choosing the right program for your PhD studies. It seems like you have a strong interest in probability and are considering applying to both math and statistics programs. I can offer some suggestions based on my experience and knowledge in this field.

Firstly, it is important to remember that each program evaluates applicants differently and has their own criteria for admission. While it may seem like applying to a math program may put you at a disadvantage, it is not necessarily the case. Your strong performance in your current master's program and your letters of recommendation from professors in both math and stat departments can demonstrate your abilities and potential to excel in a math program.

Additionally, your research paper on time series can also be a strong point in your application, even if it is not directly related to math. Many PhD programs value research experience and publications, regardless of the specific topic. Your strong performance in real analysis and measure theory courses can also show your aptitude for mathematical concepts.

Regarding the math subject GRE, it is always best to strive for a high score, but it is not the only factor that determines your admission. If you feel like you have not prepared enough for the exam, it may be better to focus on your application materials and make them as strong as possible.

In conclusion, I do not think you will be at a disadvantage by applying to math programs with your background in probability. Your strong academic performance, research experience, and diverse letters of recommendation can help strengthen your application. I wish you the best of luck in your applications and future studies.

1. What is the difference between a PhD in statistics and a PhD in mathematics?

A PhD in statistics focuses on the application of mathematical principles and techniques to analyze and interpret data, while a PhD in mathematics delves more deeply into the theory and foundations of mathematics. Both fields have a strong overlap, but a statistics PhD may have a more practical and applied approach, while a mathematics PhD may have a more theoretical and abstract focus.

2. What are the requirements for applying to a PhD program in statistics or mathematics?

Requirements vary between universities, but generally, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and/or related fields, as well as a bachelor's or master's degree. Most programs also require standardized test scores (such as the GRE), letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose outlining the applicant's research interests and goals.

3. Can I apply to both a statistics and mathematics PhD program?

Yes, you can apply to both programs, but it is important to note that the application process and requirements may differ between the two. It is also important to consider which program aligns more closely with your research interests and career goals.

4. What are some potential career paths with a PhD in statistics or mathematics?

A PhD in statistics or mathematics can lead to a variety of career paths in industries such as finance, healthcare, government, and technology. Some common job titles include data scientist, statistician, mathematician, actuary, and research scientist.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in statistics or mathematics?

The length of a PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This may also depend on the individual's research progress and whether they choose to pursue a master's degree before starting the PhD program.