Applying Chinese Remainder Theorem to polynomials

In summary, in order to find all integers x that satisfy the given congruences, we can use the Chinese Remainder theorem and Bezout's theorem. The first step is to get rid of the coefficients by computing their respective modular multiplicative inverses. This allows us to rewrite the system of congruences in terms of x alone. Then, using the extended Euclidean algorithm, we can solve for x and obtain all possible solutions.
stgermaine

Homework Statement

Find all integers x such that
[itex] 7x \equiv 11 mod 30 [/itex] and
[itex] 9x \equiv 17 mod 25 [/itex]

Homework Equations

I guess the Chinese Remainder theorem and Bezout's theorem would be used here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this if the x-terms didn't have a coefficient. I'd just rewrite the congruences so that x - 11 = 30k etc and use Euclid's algorithm to solve it, which is not too difficult.
I'm just confused as to what to do since there are the coefficients and I'm not too sure what to do.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
stgermaine said:

Homework Statement

Find all integers x such that
[itex] 7x \equiv 11 mod 30 [/itex] and
[itex] 9x \equiv 17 mod 25 [/itex]

Homework Equations

I guess the Chinese Remainder theorem and Bezout's theorem would be used here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this if the x-terms didn't have a coefficient. I'd just rewrite the congruences so that x - 11 = 30k etc and use Euclid's algorithm to solve it, which is not too difficult.
I'm just confused as to what to do since there are the coefficients and I'm not too sure what to do.

Thanks

The first step is to get rid of those coefficients by computing their respective modular multiplicative inverses.

So the system becomes ##x \equiv 7^{-1}.11 \pmod {30}## and ##x \equiv 9^{-1}.17 \pmod {25}##.

You can do this because the coefficients are relatively prime to those moduli.

Do you know how to compute those inverses? If not, you can read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_multiplicative_inverse and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Euclidean_algorithm (for the actual algorithm). A quick calculator is available online at: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dsri/modular-inversion.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the Chinese Remainder Theorem apply to polynomials?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if we have a system of congruences with pairwise relatively prime moduli, then there exists a unique solution to that system. This applies to polynomials by considering the coefficients of the polynomials as the remainders in each congruence. By solving the system of congruences, we can find the unique polynomial that satisfies all the congruences.

2. What is the significance of applying the Chinese Remainder Theorem to polynomials?

Applying the Chinese Remainder Theorem to polynomials allows us to solve polynomial equations in a more efficient and systematic way. It also has applications in number theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes.

3. Can the Chinese Remainder Theorem be applied to any type of polynomial?

Yes, the Chinese Remainder Theorem can be applied to any type of polynomial, as long as the coefficients are integers. This includes polynomials with real or complex coefficients.

4. How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem used in practical applications?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem has practical applications in cryptography, where it is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is also used in error-correcting codes in communication systems to ensure accurate transmission of data. In addition, it has applications in solving systems of linear equations and finding solutions to polynomial equations.

5. Are there any limitations to applying the Chinese Remainder Theorem to polynomials?

One limitation is that the Chinese Remainder Theorem can only be applied when the moduli are pairwise relatively prime. If the moduli are not relatively prime, then the system of congruences may not have a unique solution. Additionally, the Chinese Remainder Theorem may not be the most efficient method for solving polynomial equations in certain cases, and other techniques may be more suitable.